Servicing my nano...

Discussion in 'Nano Tank advice' started by *Coral*, 4 Jun 2012.

1. *Coral*

*Coral*

Hi guys, i have a 38 litre nano tank, its been running for awhile now with LR, a few pieces of coral and a lil clown fish, i have encountered some problems which i plan to address asap, first on my list:

APTASIA: :banghead: THESE THINGS JUST DONT GO AWAY! Its an invasion! Going to get some aptasia X, any other USEFUL ideas? And no im not capable of building a zapping device.

LIGHTING: im having endless problems with my lighting unit that is built in the roof of the Jebo R338:(, it has been modified to add the additional blue light. At first the blue light lasted about 2 months and then burned out, we thought it was the ballast, it may be too high powered, then we replaced the bulb and got a lower powered ballast, about 2 months in and i've encountered the same problem :confused1::confused1:
    What could it be???
    Does anyone know off a place i could lookup for a custom built lighting unit?

Also any thoughts on adding a sump and skimmer, which would help with my other problem of keeping the water at a high quality, im not happy with the filtration that i currently have. I'm really serious on investing some money and time into this as i have to admit i have been lacking in that area for abit, which i know is unexceptable:hang:....anyway looking for redemption.
    All assistance will be highly appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mc

Mc

This stuff should do the job, You might want to try one or two peppermint shrimp as well.

It depends on what lighting you are looking at and how much you are willing to do yourself, also where you stay. Have you thought of going the led route?

I would say a skimmer is a always a good investment, you might be able to find one that fits in the back compartment or a hang on back skimmer.
    I really don't think it is worth putting a sump on such a small tank.
    What filteration do you currently have?

4. *Coral*

*Coral* Thread Starter

I have biological filtration, bio balls, filter wool, activated carbon, substrate etc. The tank had to be converted as it is not a salt water tank. I am in Dbn.

I have considered peppermint shrimp but have heard of stories where they went crazy on other corals as well so that got me a bit scared, also i am yet to find one for sale.

I would love to invest in LED lighting but get confused between the LED units sold in general shops and the ones needed for a marine system, what is the difference? What do i look for and where? Are LED's advantageous to a marine system and provide the spectrum needed for corals and LR...my biggest concern!

Thanks for the feedback...

5. Mc

Mc

How often do you change the filter wool?
    Is your problem with nitrates?

Leds can be beneficial if the right ones are used, the problem is you need high power leds, which are leds usually over 1w each. Most guys including myself have ordered these from over sea, from ebay and a few other sites.

You can get some units from the pet shops but the problem is most of them probably won't fit in your hood. So if you want leds you will have to put it together yourself, let me know if you decide to do that and need any advice.

I am busy putting some leds on my small tank at the moment its also about this size, I'm just having a bit of a problem with the postal strike.
    Hotlips Nano cube - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

6. *Coral*

*Coral* Thread Starter

Its changed daily, every morning to be exact.

I most definitely will, thanks alot. I need all the help i can get, if i do go with a hang on back skimmer then i will probably change the hood of the tank and make a custom one.

7. Mc

Mc

Cool sounds like you are doing alright.
    Let us know if there is anything you need help with.

Recent Posts