Serpent Starfish in a new tank - does he need feeding?

Matt

Wrasse
Reaction score
I have a serpent starfish in my tank. The tank is quite new (3 weeks) - Have 12kg well cured LR so cycle was small.

I'm wondering, is there enough food in there for the serpent star? Should I be feeding him?

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
They are scavengers and will feed on the waste, what else have you got in your tank and what are you feeding them?

Matt

Wrasse
Reaction score
Nothing else in the tank yet, so wasn't feeding... This is the 3rd day I had him so I put in a piece of white fish and he ate it immediately.

How often should I do this until I stock the tank with fish (and he'll then eat their left overs I presume) ?

Last edited:

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
Nothing else in the tank yet, so wasn't feeding... This is the 3rd day I had him so I put in a piece of white fish and he ate it immediately.

How often should I do this until I stock the tank with fish (and he'll then eat their left overs I presume) ?
Sea stars have huge appetites, you are going to need to work out how much your species require. My star will eat a piece of meat once every few days, then I don't see him, disappears into the reef.

You will need to target feed, as your tank won't have enough food normally.

cybervic

Damsel
Reaction score

Even with other fish in the tank I would get into a habit of target feeding the starfish at least once a week.

Matt

Wrasse
Reaction score
Ok cool, well I put a piece of hake for him last night and he gobbled it right up, so I think i'll just do that every so often :thumbup:

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Just remember Matt, tour rank isn't that big so leaving rotting fish in the bottom will mean you must do your water changes regularly - 10% every week to keep your water in good condition.

Last edited:

Matt

Wrasse
Reaction score
Just remember Matt, tour rank isn't that big so leaving rotting fish in the bottom will mean you must do your water changes regularly - 10% every week to keep your water in good condition.
Will do! :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: