Urgent help needed Serious algae problem

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by PeterLoubser, 13 Apr 2010.

1. PeterLoubser

PeterLoubser

I have a Boyu 550 nano which is just over a year old. I am starting to get seriously despondent and desperate as I have a green algae problem that is slowly starting to choke the life out of my tank. Generally my tank parameters are good and after chatting to the LFS I bought a phosphate test kit as well as a phosphate reducer to try and clear the problem but to no avail.
    I do water changes religiously every 2 weeks, clean the protein skimmer regularly, make sure I don’t over-feed, etc. etc. Every time I do a water change I harvest as much algae as I can but over time it has now just about taken over everything. Any coral I had has been choked and died, as well as my tube worms and snails. I have a spiky urchin and crabs, and shrimps that are doing ok as well as a small number of fish that are fine, but if I can’t get rid of the algae I am seriously thinking of packing it all in. HELP!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. danimal

danimal

what about an ATS? what is your space situation?

many people on this site have had algae blooms, and it's not easy to get rid of it, but with good husbandry and maintenance it can be fixed.

bear in mind, though, that an ATS will only tackle the symptom not the cause - which is likely to be high nutrients.

good luck man.

4. PeterLoubser

PeterLoubser Thread Starter

I am not familiar with an ATS - what it looks like or how much space it needs? My tank is 125 litre with not much space

5. danimal

danimal

6. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Can you post a pic of your tank?
    I think you should increase your water changes for now and try figure out what is causingthe nutrients before building an ATS.
    Remember that getting rid of hair algae is a proccess and doesnt happen overnight.

7. manta

manta

Sitting with the same problem. remember that your test parameters will all be 0 as the GHA is using all the phosphates and nitrates to grow. Yes ATS will help, but remember that it is a slow process getting rid of GHA.

Maybe you should try a regime of things.

Contact Lanzo - Altra Algea X is a good treatment. Although it has not stopped my GHA I can see growth is beginning to slow down.
    Check you GAC. they also give off phosphates and assist the GHA growth.
    Use phosphate remover in high flow area.

I am slowly starting to win my battle and I am sure you will.

Also if you at any stage use tap water in your tank your LR has probably soaked up a lot of Phosphates. Try cooking your live rock. (Not literally cooking with hot water) search this site for methods.

8. PeterLoubser

I will take a pic tonight and post tomorrow as home internet is down (thanks to Telkom :() I had thought as a desperation measure to transfer all the live stuff to my hospital tank for a few days and clean all the LR properly and then re-stock with maybe 2/3 fresh water. I have never used tap water - only ever use it to rinse stuff off (jugs, funnels, etc.)

9. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Have you donr anything recently that may have triggered the bloom? Like livestock died, changed substrate, added liverock/stock?

10. PeterLoubser

Nothing i am aware of - have always tried to clear any debris promptly but could always have been some dead stuff within the rock arrangement. Have had a problem with GHA for about 6 months now i would guess. Took bioballs out some time back but still have ceramics. Was of a mind to change the Chemipure again soon. Have even tested RO water to see that it is not a problem as have been getting from F&V (now stopped and getting from LFS). My next step was to bring in a 'professional' for some advice before throwing in the towel as i really love my bit of ocean, but thought you guys would be a better bet :)

11. dogstar

dogstar

Since your corals have died, you can also reduce you lighting period. Maybe you need to replace the tubes on your lights too. Algae need light to grow too.

12. mandarinman

mandarinman

imo take out the ceramics they are a nitrate factory.

13. mandarinman

mandarinman

have you dosed brightwells b7? or amino acids or trace elements?

14. mandarinman

mandarinman

ps when last did you change light bulb?

15. mandarinman

mandarinman

as bulbs kelvin rating deteriorates it moves into that lovely range that plants like to grow and even if nutrients are low the energy obtained from photosynthesis powers up algae. i know this because i have been experimenting with lights to see if it affects coral growth. the lower the kelvin ratings the happier the algae! imo and six months of deterioration on lights is about right..imo

16. PeterLoubser

Attached photos taken last night - also have two anemones which are about 6 months old and florishing ... did a water change on Monday and harvested quite a bit of algae so looking better than normal at the moment ...

[​IMG][​IMG]

17. dogstar

dogstar

Seeing as you have nennies, and and some softies, i rather not drop the lighting period.

18. mandarinman

mandarinman

i would start by only removing algae off rocks

19. danimal

danimal

I agree, you can take out rocks and scrub them. The GHA is not that difficult to remove - the problem is making it stay away!

20. Anemone

Anemone

What do you have as far as a clean up crew? What are you feeding? Are you overfeeding?

I would definately start pulling it off the rock, or scrubbing it. Also increase frequency of water changes.

21. vis

vis

i would recommend Algea eating fish - Foxface, Tang of sort.

Recent Posts