semicirculatus angel

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by scubaninja, 8 May 2009.

1. scubaninja

scubaninja

hi guys, would just like to know your personal views on this fish from your experience. i would like to also know if your personal one has eaten any of your corals and how big it was when it did
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

What type of corals do you have?

ALL angles including the Centropyge (dwarf) eat corals. Mostly Brains, meat corals, elegance, clams, euphyllia etc. They seem to leave the SPS and softies. IMO

4. scubaninja

scubaninja Thread Starter

I know about angels, i know the general traits, i just wanted to make sure what i know is right for this individual because statistics mean nothing to the individual. have you kept one nemos?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

In my own reef tank No. Emperor's, Navarchus, French, Queens YES But never together.

6. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

excellent fish if you have a big enough tank.. will most defintley (in my experience) pick at coral, hardy if lookied after..

7. scubaninja

thanks nemos i appreciate your input
    thanks les, picking at corals i don't mind, its total destruction i don't like. i won't be keepin any lps besides frogs, hammers and torches, otherwise mainly sps, so there isn't much he will chomp hopefully, the specimen i am talkin about is very healthy, nice and plump, about ten cms halfway through its change i would say and feeding on everything i give it. so i was wondering if it was safe to move it over to the dt because of these facts
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. leslie hempel

i hope it works its so awsome to be able to put such a beautiful system in a system that will compliment it..

9. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

As we discussed over the phone yesterday Scuba, it is a 50/50 chance you taking. Should you find him causing havoc in the tank, catch him out. You have seen my emperor, he takes the odd nip on the SPS, but nothing extremely destructive.

10. scubaninja

thanks mek, yeah i'm takin the chance, there isn't much to nip on in there at the moment so time will tell;)
    Posted via Mobile Device

11. leslie hempel

always good to challenge yourself at some point, im happy with my moorish and was also cautioned about his introduction many times , my thinking has always been to have as much coral in the system before introduction of a pecking species, the reason is so that he will never really frequently pick at the exact same spot if there is alot of coral because he wont be able to find it.. this is of course easier done with a tank full of star polyps than sps..

12. scubaninja

Yes that is a good outlook to have on fish that chomp in a tank with corals, i think there is another side though, if you introduce it into a tank with no corals, he cannot peck at anythin and you have the time to 'ween' it off corals and onto what food you give it. so if you have a tank stocked with corals, and you have a quarantine set up or a big enough sump you get the best of both ideas, so any fish i get i add to the sump first to get it eating right
    Posted via Mobile Device

13. kalkwasser

kalkwasser

So how is the Semi doing??? I had a 50mm semi, 100mm Navarchus, two Bicolour both about 70mm and two Beans both 40mm with a mix of corals as long as they are fed well they will only pick here and there. No serious destruction. The Bean and Bicolours were pairs. Hope all is well?

14. scubaninja

it hasn't touched anythin yet. but its a huge flippen pig. it eats everything in huge pieces and so i need to distract it when i want to feed everybody else
    Posted via Mobile Device

15. Midasblenny

Midasblenny

Had mine for over a year now, pecks at softies only but doesn`t actually destroy them. I have no open brains tho as i think it would chow them.

16. scubaninja

yeah i think mine would aswell. i stick to sps and softies, with the few lps it wouldn't be into chomping like frogspawn
    Posted via Mobile Device

17. kalkwasser

kalkwasser

lol that sound about right

Recent Posts