Semi Safe marine fish.......?...angels?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by magman, 7 Sep 2009.

1. magman

magman

I really enjoy the Bi-colour angel, it is the most beautiful fish to me, that and an emporer. Now I managed to get myself a bi-colour last week, and I know you stand a 50-50 chance with them, but otherwise now my sponges that were on the rocks, well they alot smaller now. I have purposely avoided going for the softies etc, but I do have several anonomes and locally caught tubeworms, I am sure these should be safe? You agree?

Secondly, what other fish will not touch your anenomes and tubeworms, also I can harvest the tubeworms locally. I mean fish that were generally not regarded reef safe, confirm the other angels will not touch them? I know I can also harvest zoas, but these will be nibbled to death.

Also any idea where I can get an emporer and what they retail for?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hey Magman. Yes, again, as you said angels are 50/50... BTW I can get Emperor angels in JHB, but that is a bit far from you. I think a small emperor is about R250 - but not sure.

Just to rectify the "myth" of angels actually "wanting" to eat corals. They are, form what I have read, only after the algae growing on the coral. They have no reason for eating you coral tissue. So, they nib the coral, and irritate it untill it withdraws and dies eventually...

Fish wont eat zoa, as zoa are toxic. Nennies have stinging cells, so they will most likely not eat that... My dad however had an angel almost kill a tubeworm, as the tubeworm collects algae and other filter food from the water, and it sticks to it's "feathers". As soon as the tube opened, the angel wood come and peck on it, and it would close up again - doing this long enough, then the tubeworm will die...

Hope this helps a bit...

4. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

You are going to have a 50-50 chance with any Angel nipping corals, tubeworms and clams.
    Some just more likely than others. I have never heard of an Angel harassing an Anemone though.Your bigger Angels like the Emperor will more than likely nip at your corals etc. I have had my Flame Angel for going on 8 months now and he has never taken an interest in any corals, tube worms or the clam in my tank. Basically I think it comes down to the individual fish itself.

5. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

I dont know about that Jaco...I mean Angels are Omnivores they eat meat which is what corals, tube worms and clams are. If they are not getting enough food then they are going to eat what is available. Just my opinion. I mean there are some Angels that are not reef safe at all and are stated as such.

6. magman

magman Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I can see where this going to end up, I must choose if I want butterflies and rubbish like that, or reef safe......urgh....will take my time and use my sump for a fish should the need arise

7. magman

magman Thread Starter

I am going to have a problem with this bi colour, cause when I introduced him 3 days ago, and he is still not eating when I feed, he comes out but shows no interest in food, but you can see he is munching on anything in the tank.

8. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Just give him time, it can take a fish a while to realise that prepared foods such as flakes are food, just ask Prodigy his Bicolour took forever to take prepared foods and in that time it did give his corals a bit of flack. :)

9. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Yeah possbile Kunhardt. I am not the fish expert at all... Just from what I have read. But the "meat" of coral tissue aren't really meat as you get in fish right? And neither is it plantlike tissue as in algae right? So would angels actually be after the flesh of the coral?

10. clintonjay

clintonjay

I wish i could say the same! My Flame is in love with the edges of my clam....so of course he must go!:nono:

11. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Cant say I know what the tissue of coral is like compared to fish either, but if you think about it Sponges make up a lot of Angel fishes diets and one would assume that their tissue is closer to corals than to fish...maybe a question for a marine biologist not us laymen :p My Flame had nipped at the polyps of my Sinularia in the past, the only coral it ever bothered and I doubt he was after algae on the tips of a branch.

Lol I think I would get rid of the Clam...my philosophy is which ever is the more expensive gets to stay :p

12. timhar99

timhar99

Hey Jaco,
    Which shop sells it for R250, because the cheapest you can get a baby emperor in Cape town is for R420 and I've been looking hard!I've even been begging one of the Durban boys to catch me a local one, but no one seems to wanna catch me some :(

Recent Posts