Selling complete system (not me...)

Discussion in 'The Sump' started by Reef Maniac, 6 Dec 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Admin/Mods, please advise -

A fellow aquarist here in Bloemfontein has been one of those "silent" members of MASA for the past approximately 10 months, having joined but never posted anything. He went away on holiday for a week, and on returning discovered that his return pump had failed, and that the combination of high heat (chiller connected to sump), no skimming and change in SG (no top-up as auto top-up works in sump) has had a disastrous impact on his tank - so much so that he has decided to quit the hobby (I have tried to convince him otherwise, but he is adament...).

I have taken most of his surviving corals and am housing them in my Q-tank and sump until new owners can be found. This guy really spent a lot on his tank, with very good equipment (e.G. Aqua Medic TurboFlotor 5000 Twin skimmer, A.M. Calcium reactor, Hailea 1000 chiller, etc.), as well as a 2m+ tank (not sure of the exact dimensions...) and approximately 300kg of live rock.

I cannot keep his livestock indefinetely, and he wants to urgently sell everything, at VERY GOOD prices (like 50% of the new price...). I feel that this would be a win-win situation if he could advertise on the "for sale" forum (or if I could do so on his behalf), as he would then recover some of his costs and our members will be able to pick up some real bargains - the problem is that the forum rules require him to have made 20 posts before he may advertise (which he has not done...), and prohibits members advertising on behalf of someone else (so I cannot do it on his behalf).

Can we perhaps make an exception to this rule, or is there any other way to go about this?

Hennie

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

Sure since you asked so nicely... What's the username?

4. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

shame boet.. sorry to hear of this its never a good thing when someone quits.. would have loved him to post though as im sure we could have encouraged him to continue.. or at the very least consoled him.. however one mans junk is another mans gold so im sure there will be plenty of bargains that will go to well deserving members and thanks for thinking of us first..

if he has any pumps i may be in the market.. looking for OR6500 and OR3500 specifically and perhaps might take a look at the skimmer..

let me know if this is a go...

good luck les

5. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac Thread Starter MASA Contributor

GG

6. Rory

Ok get him to try post now.

7. brentnorm

brentnorm

Is he going to sell the items seperately?

8. Reef Maniac

He's not really a "computer nerd" like the rest of us, so I will open a new post in the "for sale" forum on his behalf (only tomorrow some time, though, as I still need to get all the info...). He will monitor the thread, and any/all negotiations will then be done directly with him via PM, leaving me out of the loop.

Yes.

Just as an appetizer, here's some photos of what his tank looked like before the disaster...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hennie

Last edited: 6 Dec 2008
  9. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Sad to see a tank like that go - any chance of talking him round?

10. Reef Maniac

No. Believe me, I tried, but unfortunately he has made up his mind... but, as someone said earlier, one person's loss is another person's gain - he really has some nice goodies for sale, but I have already taken the choicest corals, and his two tangs :yeahdude:so sorry for the rest of you people :whistling: I'm not interested in the tank, sump or hardware, though, and there are still a lot of corals and a few fish left for sale...

Hennie

11. Reef Maniac

One more thing, if anyone is interested in his live rock - he will be selling about 280kg of live rock for R60.00 per kg, and whatever is not sold by Tuesday will go to a local LFS, so stake your claims...

Hennie

12. gemini9241

gemini9241

what fish does he got left

13. lIghty

lIghty

I've sent him a PM on the CaRX setup and Chiller, so 1st dibs on that.

14. Rory

Please wait til the actual for sale thread/s is/are posted please guys.

Recent Posts