Selecting Saltwater Aquarium Books

Discussion in 'The Sump' started by belindamotion, 3 Feb 2011.

1. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Hi Everyone

I know MASA is loaded with all the info a person could ever want, but I don't have unlimited Internet and going thru the pictures and articles on all the different Corals and Fishes is sucking up my MB in a MAJOR way...it will definately work out cheaper if I buy a couple of books and read and select there, and then do some homework on MASA...

I've no intention of becoming a Pro on Aquariums so books in a price range of R600 each is definately not what I'm interested in...

Could you please help me in selecting about 3 or 4 books that basically covers everything as I've given up searching on www.kalahari.net as there is so many...

I did see one which is, to an extent, what I'm looking for...

http://www.kalahari.net/books/The-C...twater-Aquariums-With-CDROM/632/32726343.aspx

Not sure if it covers Compatibility Charts and/or whatever else I might need, so some help would be very much appreciated in selecting books...xoxoxo

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

The really good marine books are hectically expensive :( but if you want basic budget books then I would recommend these two by John Tullock

http://www.kalahari.net/books/Your-First-Marine-Aquarium/632/30559946.aspx

http://www.kalahari.net/books/Water-Chemistry-for-the-Marine-Aquarium/632/18515086.aspx

The water chemistry one is a bit old but a lot of the information is still relevant, but some will have been superseded.

Those two should cover pretty much most of the basics and give you a good understanding of how marine tanks work. I haven't read any of the other books that are listed on Kalahari so I can't comment on those.

Are you looking for books on corals and fish as well?

4. belindamotion

belindamotion Thread Starter Google Master

Yes...maybe a book on Coral and another one on Marine Fishes..would like to know what Coral/Fish is easy to maintain and what are difficult, what they eat and conditions under which they live...like tempreture etc...I've seen some Sites on the Internet and they are just what I'm looking for, but they swallow my MB so I'm hoping to get a few books with that kind of info...or even "encyclopedia" versions or "A - Z"..then I can go on the Web and read the info I need regarding their living conditions...

5. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

3 books which I refer to very often are these:

Reef Aquarium Fishes by Scott W. Michael
    The 101 Best Saltwater Fishes by Scott W. Michael
    Marine Invertebrates by Ronald L. Shimek

6. belindamotion

belindamotion Thread Starter Google Master

Thanks...will surf on the web for them..maybe get them via Ebay or Amazon..

7. Tony

Tony

Dont forget on line magazines like on reefkeeping.com, advanced aquarist.com and wet web media. I also found a good fish ID book called coral reef fishes by Ewald Lieske and Robert Myers and it was cheap. The books that viper mentioned are also good as I have them myself

Recent Posts