SEIO's kill fish?

Discussion in 'Pumps and Waterflow' started by Elrond, 26 Aug 2011.

1. Elrond

Elrond

Reefers,

It was with great sadness that I got home yesterday and found my much loved and favourite fish - the Copperband, resting against my SEIO 820 - dead :( The previous day he was fit healthy and I was admiring him and taking numerous photos. I can only but assume he swam too close, got stuck and I didnt rescue him in time. I've had a total of 5 fish over 4 years which have been found resting against these. I cant confirm that the powerhead was responsible for all deaths.

Is this unique to the older M series SEIO's or do other people find the same thing with other powerheads?

I posted a similar thread many years ago.

It took me 5 months to find the right sized and healthy Copperband. I'm very bleak about it :(

-P

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

:(..so sorry..:( I have a a SEIO and can't confirm if this is the case with the M Series as I don't have that Model...I have the 530 and removed mine last week as it basically takes up a whole section in my small Tank and replaced it with a small Resun Waver-2000 and from the word go I've been thinking about this new Resun the same way you are thinking about the SEIO..The SEIO I had hosted my Nemo's and they where against it all the time...

4. Afsal

Afsal

Very sad indeed. IMHO , a fish would have been able to swim away from a pump that size , so this is a mystery as you have had deaths like this before.

5. crispin

crispin

sorry to hear about the loss of your copper band.

Im afraid i seriously doubt that you fish were sucked into that pump and killed like that, im afraid he has died of some reason and the water flow within the tank almost always suckes the fish up against the pump.

i lost my CBB before and was sure he died like you said until and experienced reefer showed me the signs of his starvation which i had missed. 5 months is also around average live span of a CBB in tanks :(

Jinx, Alan, ed and 4 others like this.
  6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Yip, the agree thing works.

Anyway, they fish most likely died somewhere else in your tank and got blown eventually against the pump inlet.

I had a Copperband. And it lasted just over 5 months. Maybe max 7 months. Was fine, eating flakes. Then, it just died on me. Was not looking too happy one morning, did not eat, I though it was just a bad hair day. Next day he was dead.

7. ChrisNell

ChrisNell

same thing, lasted 4 months, never tried again

8. Elrond

Elrond Thread Starter

He ate merrily on Wednesday evening, he's only been in my system for 6 weeks (without looking at my previous posts) Thanks guys... appreciate the input :(

9. richardmatlock

richardmatlock

+1 - pumps don't kill healthy, fast fish - tanks/other things do.

10. Hermanus

Hermanus

Had the same thing with YT's got 4 and all 4 ended up against the pump(bought 1 and it died and then the next one and it died..), and also thought it is the pumps. Then I did a bit of reading up and , yip no pump kill fish , fish die and then get suck up by the pump. So long story short I bought the 5th YT from another LS and my problem was sorted. Sad to say no fish I bought from this LS is alive today and it is a s.......:whistling:

11. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Yip, the fish was either dead already, floated and got stuck to the pump - or it was so weak and got sucked against it and couldn't get away. When fish are weak, sick, stressing, etc they tend to take cover next to pumps, rocks and in corners at the top or bottom of the tank.

viper357 likes this.
  12. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I agree that the fish must have gotten very weak. Don't be too disheartened though, copperbands already are finnicky fish, it could have been a culmination of various things like if he's had a hard time during shipping and then not eating enough foods at the LFS plus then going into a new system. Just out of curiosity, what foods was he eating in your tank?

I had the same thing happen on one of my SEIO M1100's. It was a very young local angelfish that didn't eat for a few days, then the next morning I found this

[​IMG]

carlosdeandrade likes this.
  13. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

I hear that your should never net a Copperband, is that true?

So sorry on the loss, I feel you!:dft004:

14. viper357

I don't know, did they say why?

15. richardmatlock

richardmatlock

That be a Chaetodon lunula which is a butterfly, not an angel.

16. Elrond

Elrond Thread Starter

viper357 - He was fussy and only ate Artemia. I tried a few things but he mostly pigged out out Artemia. I usually switch off my return pump, drop a block of frozen food in a tub of water to defrost and then throw it in. I 'pre-feed' the other guys with some dry food as they are happy to eat this.

So do I give up with Copperbands and assume they will all peg? I find that my system is rather boring and doesn't have nearly enough fish activity in it. I would love a Powderblue but the Yellow Tang will most likely bully it in my system...

17. viper357

Ah yes, dead right, thanks for that correction.

18. viper357

Sadly most of them will, it's really hard finding one that will eat a variety of foods in order to survive, it took me about 4 years I think before I found one in a LFS that I felt comfortable taking a chance with.

Artemia alone will not provide the fish with sufficient nutrition, I feed mine a mixture on enriched artemia, krill and mysis, and that is all he eats, he is fit, fat and healthy.

When you next see one, ask the LFS to specifically feed it Mysis or Krill, if the fish takes those foods (which are much more nutritious than brineshrimp/aretemia) then you've got a good chance at the fish surviving. And don't be scared to feed 'enough' food, I have 8 fish in my tank and I feed 6 blocks of frozen food per day to ensure my CBB gets enough.
    What about a regal tang? Or a foxface? Or a jumping bean? They are all active, colourful fish.

19. Munky82

Munky82

Geewiz ! That's one BIG seio or one small fish :eek:

20. archiecrain

archiecrain

A Bean will make for some great viewing!! and be a lot less hassle and heartache than the Copperband from the sounds of things....I love the character mine adds to my tank.

21. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Recent Posts