Seio rattle

Reaction score
Every now and then my Seio powerhead rattles violently. I've stripped it and everything seems fine. What could it be?

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Is the SEIO on a controller? It could be the "strongest wave" setting that makes the SEIO output the most amount of water, causing it to move around violently in the tank - causing the rattling on it's mounting..... Possibly?

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
LIke jacques said possibly controller (not the Seio one)
Or a bad contact at the two prong plug, the seio does that when it starts up
Broken ceramic shaft
Mounting rubber gone?

Reaction score
how far is the seio from your water surface.....

I had mine to clost to the surface and every now and then it would suck in some air (with that tornado shaped thing) and shake and make a noise. (hope that makes sense)

I moved it down a bit and it has been fine ever since.

Reaction score
LIke jacques said possibly controller (not the Seio one)
Or a bad contact at the two prong plug, the seio does that when it starts up
Broken ceramic shaft
Mounting rubber gone?
The ceramic shaft is fine, which mounting rubber are you talking about? The vibrating noise is sounds the same as when it starts up.

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
in the front cover will take a pic

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Not likely that its missing but you never know
654790a4f24287e.jpg

Muz

Reaction score
I have about 6 seio's in my tank, they are all over the reef, most behind and under the reef, I have some running all the time and some on controllers... I'm sure I have the same rattle ! the problem is a) it is one of them.. pick one, and b) it's under the reef.. grr, have to smoke a joint and start unpacking !

I can hear that the noise is a rattle, something is broken, what gets to me is I only hear it for 1 or 2 seconds every 30 seconds or so, I have switched it off until I recover it and have a look see..

I smell we may have the same problem

Muz

Muz

Reaction score
Please accept my appologies ! I was mistaken, it is amazing how these threads get you moving, I decided to pull the back of my reef apart and take out all the pumps as they needed a clean and I had to find out what the problem was..

I found this.. it is the supply to 2 of my Boyu pumps, it thrns out the rattle is from one of the Boyu's that are linked to this mess... by bad !

oops.gif

Muz

Reaction score
Gaboon, I may have missed it but did you check all the connections ?

Reaction score
My 2 seio's are connected to 1 plug, rattled even before I connected the 2. Come to think of it, I think it first started after a power cut. Could that have damaged it?

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
The power cut probably wouldn't have damaged it, but if you had a power surge when the power came back on it's quite possible that it may have affected it.