Seekng advice on sale gone "south"

Discussion in 'The Sump' started by chikaboo, 27 Oct 2010.

1. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hey there all .... Plz could I get some advice and what would be the appropriate actions ..... Here's what happened and the reefer concerned cannot "bust my chops" as there is no naming and shaming going on here just I am in a quandry and dont know what to do ..... I was offered a good few items for sale and because have done deals before with this reefer and had no problems decided to go ahead with sale ..... Here's what I was offered

(1) Jager Heater - almost brandnew
    (2) 2 x Daz T5 units - 90cm - chrome
    (3) fluidized bed filters
    (4) 2 x 250W metal halides
    (5) 5000L return pump - awesum pump - silent, cost me R3000 new
    (6) 4 x sunsun 12 000L Flow pumps - almost brandnew
    (7) test kits etc, well anything you can think of
    (8) brandbew never been used RO unit

Ok so the deal was totalling R2700 excluding shipping which I had no problem with as this was a killer deal ..... BTW this was being negotiated on the 21st of Sept .... Ok ...... first week of Oct I paid half on the 28th of Sept and then the other half on the 12th of Oct ..... Right then the trouble started with couriers not wanting such big parcels at post office (understandable) Ok got the R/O unit last week only to see it definately not new .... (reefer says he tested it and I accepted it although dissapointed as the ad to me was "never touched water") now finally receiving my balance of equipment on Friday with this being revealed today

Lighting unit needs "wiring attention"
    return pump might need a new impellor and
    4 x 12000Ltr sunsun pumps is actually only 2 like this (the other 2, I don't know)

Ok seems like some extra stuff coming I dont know as compromise or goodwill gesture or no idea like

an Aqua Medic probe
    sera granumarin granulated marine food
    spirulina flakes
    big magnet cleaner
    3 x 402 Aquaclear Powerheads
    1 x big powerhaed
    new hydrometer
    and an marine specific UV Steriliser.

So am I making a big mountain out of a molehill .... And I like to repeat ... the concerned party cannot give me grief as no names mentioned and there is no linking statements as to who is the other reefer......
    I've been wheeling and dealing on many sites now and my reputation as a buyer preceeds me ... Other reefers here will verify what I'm saying ... I'd just like other members take on the situation .......

Last edited: 27 Oct 2010
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Manic

Manic Moderator

That pisses me off actually. Please we are all here for marine, don't try stuff some other guy around to make some money. You don't need to name and shame but I rate you demand some money back.

4. FransSny

FransSny

Sorry to hear you've been done "in" (inverted comma's used) bud, yes your reputation as a buyer does go a long way so I am confident in saying you did your part.

As for the price, wow that actually seemed to good to be true, maybe that should have been a sign.....

No real advice to give you, I see quite a lot of similar situations with secondhand setups that actually turn out in the end just as expensive as a new one

Good luck with your dilemma

5. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

We all like to have good deals and running my own business from 1994 I've been through the mill when it comes to negotiating great deals but I like everything to be above board ... If I'm quoted on apples I expect apples! Maybe my expectations are high because I run my business like this ... I've closed hundreds of thousands of rands in deals merely on "gentleman's agreements" and can't see why sales should be done any other way ...... I'm sorry but I call a spade a spade ... Like it or not but what needs to be said has to be .....

6. scubaninja

scubaninja

Mmm. Sounds fishy from the start. Still being Father Christmas chika? Maybe you can drop down my chimney these holidays if you feel like being in a giving mood :p
    I hate it when people dont tell you the actual quality of stuff. Pictures are a must and the seller must be shown to give faulty condition reports.

7. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

always demand the pics bru always

8. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

My problem as the ninja man said I'm too trusting ...... Always giving the guys benefit of the doubt and seeing the good in everyone......

9. animalia

animalia

Hi Chikaboo, if you have all the documentation and proof on paper to what this reefer has promised you may take it further. It will not cost you much more but for him - his reputation and may I add, a lot more than the money you paid him.

Your option are: 1. See a lawyer - quite a few on MASA.
    2. Take him to small claims court if he does not provide what your were promised as per the negotiations. When you win your case you are allowed to name and shame as it was proven in court that you were right - maybe he will think twice before screwing someone over again.
    3. Drive to his house and smack the living daylights out of him!!! If its too far Get someone to do it!

my 2c worth

10. animalia

animalia

It is a proven fact - 95% of people are honest (Proven) it is the last 5 % of disholest people that makes us distrust the whole mankind.

11. seank

seank

:lol::lol:

12. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

Yeah dude, I'd be pretty pissed off about this. It's not cool to promise someone something and not deliver on it... It sucks as well, for the rest of the marine community if the person involved does not get named, because what happens if another unsuspecting buyer who doesn't have much bucks, gets porked over as well?

It is a marine community this, and everyone should know who is trustworthy and who isn't...

My 2c...

13. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

Thanx all so far for all your'lls input and I really must ask forgiveness from all of your'll as I do have an "ulterior motive" in asking for advice .... Hopefully the fellow reefer and I will come to a compromise after reading this thread and also help others not fall into a "titsup situation" ... I still am not a happy chappy but would prefer not to make bad blood in this big MASA family but on the other side of the coin I would not be at peace with myself knowing that wrong was being done and another member of MASA family will also be not treated fairly .... Only time will tell ....

14. mandarinman

mandarinman

things that sound too good to be true need to be questioned to verify what you are getting. eg , they are in complete working order etc. i wouldnt order big things without having physically seen them. i must however say old fransny is the best if you buy something you dont even havto see a pic. he says it like it is!

15. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

mmmm intresting thread....definatly not cool
    one question though chica....
    you ordered three r.o.units from us that we asembled for you and have still not been collected......why buy another r.o.unit if you got three still waiting to be collected?

16. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

I enquired about the 2 units and wanted a third coz I thought I could introduce my friend to marines but when he heard the price of the units he decided it was too high I thought he could work out something from this deal but when I received it I actually felt bad to even show it to him as I was under the impression it was new .... BTW I was actually asked to contact you to verify that this particular unit was new when I questioned it but I didn't as I did my own snooping on MASA and found the unit was already in the reefers hands by Feb ... Unfortunately this was a little late ..... I didn't want to waste your time in stating the obvious so I decided I will just take the 2 as originally discussed .... 1 to be my "other spare unit" as we dont have anyone doing marine for like 300km's and the second to go to my friend when he is ready .... As soon as the bank is smiling .... I'm sorry I had no idea you had to assemble them .... will still take them ... you have my word on that .... I just need to juggle some $$$$$ around ... My appologies if I inconvenienced you in anyway though ... Oh and 1 more thing ... this was like a package deal ... Everything goes so the only item I removed from the equation which I really didn't want were the MH's

17. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

no worries at all chika....not an inconvieniance, i was just asking, whenever you ready dude,
    if i can help neaten up and get that "2nd hand unit" looking new, just let me know.....i have plenty spares lying around that i can help you out with...ie brackets etc etc if that one looks rusted.......
    seriously though dude....whenever you ready just shout about the machines......i know how costly setting up a new system is;)

18. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

Oh man ... why did you edit your post .... I'm rolling on the floor with laughter and have just brought the lighter side of the thread out ... My wife says you must have used that "word" coz this was like a "k@k" deal ...... Physically the unit does'nt look bad just was upset that it was not what I expected .... Seriously though I'm willing to live through it for being too trustworthy ..... The plan of action is to get the new one ... put it in this place and bring this one in for "bling bling" full check and makeover ... BTW its the reefmaster evolution plus series.....

19. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

cool......
    lol.....yeah i dont know how i spelt panty from plenty:lol:
    my wifes is sitting here laughing saying i got sex on the brain....lol
    :)
    i just laughed and said to her.....what man does'nt.....;):slayer:

20. Pistolshrimp

Pistolshrimp

Geez dude, some ous have no scrupels about them, dont worry the pump you getting from me is all you think and more :p

21. magman

magman

Chiks,
    was there any pics for the ad?

Imo, if he does not make the deal as it should be, or refund you all your money and postage for wasting your time, you should name and shame, otherwise one of us other reefers will be caught, and this person should be made aware of to everyone else. On the otherhand I presume with what this person is selling, they are obviously packing up and don't care about the forum, but at least there is I am sure a few lawyers on here willing to help, it's not so much about the money, more about the principle.

Recent Posts