Seeding old live rock...

Reaction score
I am looking on more info on making my dead live rock, "live" again. Is it benefcial doing it, how should I do it and how does it take?

Thanks for all the answers

rinse out your dead rock in RO water just like wat you would do with ceramic rock and add it to your sump.thats what i usually do.lets see what the others gotta say

Thanks mekeaal, the rocks been out of water for about 3 years or more.

Sandersc, the only way to seed rock is with live rock.

Rinse off all your old rock to get all the loose bits off and put it into your tank. Buy a couple of kg's of good quality live rock and place it amongst your "dead" rock.
The critters from the live rock will slowly start to populate the dead rock.
The process is slow though, 6 months plus. Putting more live rock in will speed the process up a bit, but patience is what's needed here ;)

Okay, so we assume its fairly dry, no problem. I would rinse it off and stick it into the system then get a few kgs good quality live cured rock and stick it in together with the dead rock and wait for a couple of weeks and the new rock will seed the dead rock.

Depending on how old your live rock is (if it has been dry for 3-4months then chuck it straight in)
If dry for a week for a week or so, then you will either need to cycle the rock - by leaving it in a tank full with sea water (mix or natural) heated and circulating, or,
If your rock has been laying around longer than a couple of weeks it will probably need to boil it in R/O for 10-15mins, this will kill all the bacteria, good or bad so you will end up with "virgin" rock, that will need seeding with fresh live rock.

Would Kenian do or where will I get good LR. I've read years ago somewhere that if you crush a good piece of LR an scatter that over your rock, that it will speed things up. Rumour or is there truth in it.

Would Kenian do or where will I get good LR. I've read years ago somewhere that if you crush a good piece of LR an scatter that over your rock, that it will speed things up. Rumour or is there truth in it.
Not heard of that, but ican't see why not, but fresh, new, loverly Fijian rock would be better:thumbup: well, best really;)

IMO get as varied amount as possible, kg or two from Kenya, kg or two from Fiji, kg or two Malaysian if you can get, will give you a good range of bio diversity.

Tell me, wee-man, is Fijian rock freely available in the UK or not and at what price if available?

Tell me, wee-man, is Fijian rock freely available in the UK or not and at what price if available?

It is highly prized as the best (most porous) certainly in the UK and as far as i know, available in third world countrys such as South Africa:whistling:

It goes for around £13 per kilo or that works out to R188, but i'm sure some of your fellow colonials could tell you more local prices;)

Wee-Man I do believe the ship comes by here every 5 or 6 years, especially since we are 3rd world?

Wee-Man I do believe the ship comes by here every 5 or 6 years, especially since we are 3rd world?

Fear not young Sanders, we haven't forgotten our children, even if they are slightly ungrateful and steal our cups.;)

Shame , we just take what belongs down South, and I don't mean down under!!

Wee-Man Is this family or not? Saw him on Criminal Watch last night.

muppet01_small.jpg

Wee-Man Is this family or not? Saw him on Criminal Watch last night.

muppet01_1024x768.jpg

Sorry don't get piccies - unless you can get it smaller perhaps, failing that, hold the insult till morning and i'll get back to you:)

Thanks to all of you for your help. I am off to bed and leave the chldren to whatever they do after midnight.

Cheers - Sleep well

Back
Top Bottom