Seeding a new tank with coraline

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by Easy Tiger, 16 Nov 2012.

1. Easy Tiger

Easy Tiger Day Dreamer Deluxe

Hi All - I am seeding a new tank with coraline. Want my home-made rock to go purple already !
    I have taken scrapings out the old tank, but don't think I have enough to get the process going quick enough. If any reefers out there have healthy, excessive coraline growth, and are willing to spare a few scrapings for me I'd be much obliged ! Happy to come around and collect this weekend - I am on the West Rand .

Thanks !

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Easy Tiger - If your tank's water parameters are all good, and you already have rock in your tank, with corralline algae on it - then it would just be a matter of a short time before the corralline algae will start growing by itself.

IF your tank is still cycling, mind you, and your parameters is still unstable, then you will not have corralline algae growth, until such time that your parameters is stable.

4. Easy Tiger

Easy Tiger Thread Starter Day Dreamer Deluxe

Thanks Jacques - the tank is still in the cycle. I do have some rocks in there from my old tank to help with the cycle, but most of it is home made DIY base rock - bare white rock looks horrible!
    I used the purple milkshake method on my old tank - worked like a bomb ! ( put as much coraline into a blender as possible, blend, stop return pumps, pour into tank and let it all settle, then start normal filtration again). Doing it this way turned my tank rock purple, evenly , in about 14 days . I admit my old tank was smaller though ...

5. mandrin

mandrin

i agree same happen to me when i got my new tank some time back coraline is growin realy fast now

6. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Get some scrapings off another reefers glass , keep ca, mg and alk stable and a bit above nsw levels, nutrients down add an urchin and it will explode.
    If you wanna gow it even faster, run dimmed lighting, esp actinics

7. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

caribsea's purple up is also a most, doses, iodine, strontium, magnesium, carbonate calcium and anything needed for coralline

8. Easy Tiger

Easy Tiger Thread Starter Day Dreamer Deluxe

Cool -yes ! Does anyone have any scrapings that I can bum please? That's what started this thread...

Recent Posts