Security Floodlights

Discussion in 'Technology' started by WarrenElvis, 10 Sep 2013.

1. WarrenElvis

WarrenElvis

Hey everyone. Had a bit of cuk weekend had some intruders in my property early hours Sunday morning, lucky i was up and caught them in the act and managed to get police to apprehend the 4 of them. Have got Security cameras installed, so they were also caught on the cameras, but what i was needing some advice on are my external lighting. Want to put in some floodlights possibly hooked up to a pir, but not sure with CFL or LED or halogen. Prices vary drastically, and was wondering if anyone had some advice on which ones to get, and best value for buck
    Thanks in advance for the help:thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

I've recently put up 3 * 10W LED and 1 20W LED and planning on two more 10W LED's. The 10W are sufficient for security lighting but you'll need one about every 10m or so. Price on them was about R300. They are just hooked up to day/night switches not to a PIR (All combined it's like a 60W bulb running all night).

4. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

WOW...sorry about you'r weekend...I can't help..:blush:.. but just wanted to say..great job in apprehending the intruders..:thumbup:..sometimes it's so dangerous to try and protect you'r own property..glad all went well..:)

5. WarrenElvis

WarrenElvis Thread Starter

Thanks @Rory, any particular brand one you have. Confused on the wattage, i know they say 100 lumens per watt, but the housing its in has a part to play, what distance do you get and are those 10w quite bright

Thanks @belindamotion , like the new Avatar, mermaids nicer than cats:p

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

YIP..I'm sure they are nicer to cuddle up against..;)

7. WarrenElvis

:tt2: Good one . Did i ever tell you the joke about the mermaid, why she got so embarrased, because she saw the big ships bottom. Ok enough joking around now, am going to get into trouble

8. Zandy

Zandy

@WarrenElvis... good job...should have phoned me when you caught them i have alot of anger i need to take out on someone..!!!

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I went old school, using T8 4 foot setups.

Under the roof overhang, I just the normal open type, really cheap, dual globes. Side of the garage I used a weatherproofed one, same as some suburbs in Durban use as Streetlights.

Mayor advantage of T8 tubes over all spotlights is that they light all the way down the wall, under the light, further away. Uniformed spread. Used only one unit each side of the house. Gave enough light. Spotlights I needed 3 maybe 4 units for each T8. And with spotlights and you got shadows directly under the unit.

Power wise, the T8 is not that heavy. But on price, complete fittings will be a portion of what the LED units costs.

Used these T8 units for years before the globes needed replacement. And they are really cheap. Just mount the unit so that it will shine all the way to the top of the fence without shining over. Then next door neighbour cannot complain that your lights are keeping him awake.

Last edited: 10 Sep 2013
  10. Hammerhead

Hammerhead

Yup Durban is getting worse in terms of crime, yet SAPS wont give you crime stats in an area for individuals to make informed decisions on where not to buy, im assuming its out of fear that it may chase away would be home buyers from certain areas.

It would be nice though to wire one of those motion sensors to switch on a red bulb inside your house so the intruders wont know what hit them.

11. WarrenElvis

@Zandy had to contain myself to really wanted to shout out the window and even throw a pepper bomb at them, but enjoyed them getting caught more.
    @RiaanP great advice thanks man will look into that as well

12. WarrenElvis

Its everywhere, one just has to say they are not targeting you as an individual but rather that they are just opportunists who are desperate in todays economy. To be honest I had 12 SAP on my property that night when they responded within 3 minutes of my call. Big ups for them

13. seank

seank

Same here, but only 54w. Had them for about 12 years without any hassles. Enough light to make the kids look for needles on the grass.

14. Afsal

Afsal

eish Sean , you dont give those lighty's a break ..... :lol:

15. seank

seank

If they keep on wanting to play for Natal schools rugby, I need to keep them strong...lol

Recent Posts