Second time round

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Dre, 14 Apr 2015.

1. Dre

Dre

Hi everyone. So glad to be back in the hobby well almost

I used to have a Boyu TL550 which u shut down because I couldn't maintain it because of work but now I am moving into my new place in June so I have decided to buy another tank and get back into the hobby.

I have purchased an Infinity Aqua 120 tank from Yuppie Pets with the skimmer and reactor. I am getting the new Pharos 90w led to light it up. Since I am only setting it up in June I want to do a lot of research this time to make sure that I do everything to the book.

I have a few questions that I hope you can all help with. So here goes

I see that there are a few books available on Marine tanks. Which one would you say is the most informative and up to date? Or even an app if there is. I'm hoping to use it for the basics such a step by step guide on what to when cycling and setting up the tank and maintenance.

What other equipment would you recommend that I invest in?

I am thinking of stocking the following? Any thoughts?
    2 x Ocellaris Clowns
    2 X Bangai Cardinals
    1 X Six Line Wrasse
    1 x Anemone and also thinking of trying a mixed reef.

What clean up crew and algae crew should I keep?

Sorry for all of the questions but like I said. I want to do all of my research before I setup the tank. Looking forward to the response.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

MASA is better than any book you could buy. And it's free. :)
    Just use the search function at the top of every page.

Do the Infinity Aqua tanks not come with lights? I thought it is a complete system with everything included.
    Your stocking list is fine. Just add the 6 line last as they like to eat pods in a mature aquarium and make sure it is eating frozen/flakes/pellets. They're also very aggressive fish but personally I've never owned one.

After the cycle is completed you can add a few snails and maybe a hermit or two. Maybe 5 snails and a hermit. As the tank matures over time you can add more as there will be more food for them.

Check out the links below.

4. Dre

Dre Thread Starter

@TaahirS great advise thanks. Please could you repost the links.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

6. Dre

Dre Thread Starter

They do but from my research I have heard that they aren't good enough to stock all corals so I would land up upgrading it in the long run but I got the tank on special without the LED so I decided to go for an u graded unit from the beginning. It also has all of the automatic features which the standard LED doesn't have.

7. CameL

CameL

for a boyu tl550, look at adding about 5 snails, just bear in mind that they need a food source, so add as many as there is food available. do not be alarmed by the initial algae outbreak, as it is a passing phase, so you should judge your tanks algae production preferably after that.
    I use the pharos too, highly impressed.
    I've got a 200l, with 2 clowns and a sixline wrasse, majority of the time the sixline is well behaved, it's only after feeding it seems to show it's dominance towards the clowns and hits them sometimes, however, no damage to the clowns so far. so i put it down to more of a show of dominance than actual aggressiveness.
    Tips to start, choose a good salt from the onset. makes it much easier to try and maintain than to try and correct water parameters. Prevention is better than cure rings true here.
    Books are something i havent invested in, as i think that the internet is the greatest tool for the assimilation of knowledge, and the wealth of knowledge for pretty much any subject is brain teasing. That includes this hobby. however, that said, if there was one book i would like to invest in it would probably be The KING of DIY The ultimate DIY handbook - The KING of DIY, i've watched many of his youtube videos, and although the canadian accent is pretty annoying, he sure is very informative and easy to understand.

8. Dre

Dre Thread Starter

Makes sense. Thanks I'm so excited to start.

Recent Posts