Second hand tank cleaning

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Jacojs, 14 Dec 2015.

1. Jacojs

Jacojs

Hi everyone.

After a very long time I am posting again. I finally got myself a reef tank second hand so excuse all the questions coming.

My question is how do I clean/sterilize the system? I dont want any dormant spores and such to give me any issues later on.

I currently have it running with tap water only and 2 litres of vinegar, I know this is not enough for my tank which is 150litres excluding the sump which is probably 50litres or more.

The dilution ratio I found was 1 part vinegar to 4 parts water and if my math serves me correct that is 50 litres of vinegar!! Thats a bit much isnt it? The right amount probably but Im not buying 50litres of vinegar!

What else can I do or use to clean the system? Bleach? What brand and how much? And how long do I run it in the system?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Regards
    Jaco.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dexter

Dexter

50L vinager is much much cheaper than livestock and corals if you think about it.

If you buy vinager in bulk in wont even cost you 200 bucks.

I know some people use methalated spirits or jik but I havent used it my self. Maybe somebody else can comment.

4. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

Hi Dexter.

Thanks for the reply. The vinegar only helps with removing calcification and coraline algae as far as I know, I could be wrong. It doesnt really kill any or all nasties and thats where the bleach comes in.

There is not much calcification or coraline in the tank so I dont think I will need so much vinegar but if everyone suggests it I will go that route. Anyone else that have done this?

Also how do I remove the last few grains of sand? Vacuum cleaner when dry?

Regards.
    Jaco.

5. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

You can use unscented bleach (like Miltons). Instead of running the tank in a solution of it, you can scrub it with a silution. Once everything is cleaned, rinse with water until the bleach smell is gone

6. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

Hey 459b.

That is BRILLIANT, I did not even think of Milton!! Seeing as how the tank is already filled with water surely I can add it to the tank and let it run, Milton says to make a new solution every 24 hours so I am thinking that it breaks down to less harmful/effective byproducts during that time, salt and something else, that's why its safe for babies.

Remove all water from system and fill with fresh water and a good dose of Prime, run again for 24 hours and empty and let completely dry before starting the cycling run. Does this sound good?

Now how much Milton to add?

Jaco.

Last edited: 14 Dec 2015
  7. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

Here we go.

2. Prepare Solution
    • Fill your sterilising unit with 5L of cold tap water, add 1 cap of fluid. (30ml dilution at 0.6%)
    3. Add Items
    • Close the lid. Submerge items under water. In just 15 mins everything is ready to use. No need to rinse with water. Items can stay in the solution until needed. Renew the solution every 24 hours
    At 30ml per 5L, for a system of 200L I would have to add 1.2Litres of Milton? Can anybody mathematically inclined just confirm my calculations :)

8. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Maths seems ok.
    If you going to be making 200l of sterilizing solution, you might as well throw in your nets/buckets/ cleaning equipment as well

9. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

Good idea as well 459b! I will boil skimmer, reactor and all pumps in there too. Thanks!

Recent Posts