Second Hand Tank Advice

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Jacojs, 24 Aug 2016.

1. Jacojs

Jacojs

Hi everyone.

This is a long read so apologies.

I purchased a second hand tank, I am upgrading. I have a concern about this tank though. It seems like the silicone has split on one corner of the tank. My current tank (also bought second hand) started leaking and I ended up having to put everything in a bin in the living room. Luckily the leak started while cycling.

I don't want to go through that again, I already have a sponsor that is going to "redo" the silicone on this tank.

Here is the problem though, the corners are glass on glass, there is really almost no space between panels so the sponsor said that he will redo the seams which will prevent leaks but he cant take the panels apart because there is too much risk for the glass to crack or break.

Leak proofing wont prevent a bad join from splitting though so I asked if bracing would help and he said it will, so Im adding euro bracing to the cube, rather safe than sorry.

Now I do trust the sponsors judgement and advice, I would just like to hear from you guys if there is anything else I can or rather should do to prevent a blow out.

Also during the move the bottom corner cracked, the sponsor said that he is going to add in from the top a 6mm glass bottom, will this be good to prevent that corner from leaking/breaking out?

Again, I do trust the sponsors judgement, I just want to hear from people who went through this as well maybe.

The sides and bottom glass is 10mm, the cube is 90x90x60.

Thanks!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

I it was me, id strip and redo the whole thing properly. If you having doubts about an empty tank youll always have that concern in the back of your mind.
    Rather fix it properly now before its full of livestock.

4. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

@459b Believe me I want to but apparently its a big risk to try and remove the glass as it is, I may end up paying for a brand new tank and thats not something I can do.

Last edited: 24 Aug 2016
  5. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Can you post pics so we cn see just how close they are together and how bad the bottom crack is?

6. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

Sure, will take some when I get home.

7. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

SO here are some photos of the tanks corners and panels.

DSCN1883.jpg
    DSCN1884.jpg
    DSCN1885.jpg
    DSCN1886.jpg
    DSCN1887.jpg

Photos of the crack in the base and bracing inside as well.

DSCN1891.jpg
    DSCN1890.jpg
    DSCN1893.jpg
    DSCN1894.jpg

Last edited: 26 Aug 2016
  8. oliver

oliver

Just to inform you that tanks panels can be seperated with a steel trace or a razor blade ,if you would live here I would do it for you.

9. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

Thanks @oliver that would have been great! Just to be clear though, when you say steel trace are you talking about a trace used for fishing?

lures2.jpg

10. oliver

oliver

Yes or even piano wire just if you do this ,first cut away excess silicone inside the corners and fix handles on the trace or piano wire .To seperate the panels you place the trace on the joint of the panels and then you put downward force on the trace/wire anth trace will slice through the silicone like a knife through butter.I have take a lot of tanks apart like this.

11. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

Once you cut through the silicone the glass should come off easy but don't force it, that is when you will crack or break something. I used a blade and fish gut to cut through my silicone. Also once I assembled mine I bought 25mm x 25mm aluminium angle iron and siliconed it on the outside corners just for that extra security and peace of mind. I painted the angle irons black so that it blended in with the black silicone and looked the part.

12. 4age

4age

Pour methylated spirits down seams to help soften it..then use a piece of aluminum measuring tape which you can break off...it's the best thing you can use to get between gaps without killing your hands.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

13. Jacojs

Jacojs Thread Starter

@oliver Appreciate your input, thank you!

@EFJ That is a GREAT idea! I am going to do that! I once asked a tank builder if he cant put silicone on the outside too and he said it will be too difficult to do it neatly, it didnt even occur to me to put something over the silicone.......BRILLIANT :cheers2:

@4age I will try that as well, thank you.

Thanks for all the advice guys, it really helps! It would seem then that it is doable even if theres not much of a gap between panels?

Recent Posts