• A waste of money

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Okay

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Good

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
Reaction score
I know Reeftek (and reef octopus :p) the No.1 skimmer. Practically every forum sings that.:lol::thumbup:
But, as second in line what would be your pick?
How about the Red Sea Prizm Deluxe or the Tunze nano? (i can't seem to find pages on buying in SA on them)
Tnx

Reefocto/tek are not the "Number 1 skimmer" at all. They are just really good value for what you get. If your space is limited I'd probably go with Tunze. If you have 7-13k to spend I'd get an ATI bubblemaster. Check out www.tunze.com and select south africa for info and rough prices. Add about 20% to the prices.

Do you have a limitation with space or a limited budget?

I think a couple of people are quite fond of the Prizm skimmers.

The new Aquamedic blue also seems to be a nice skimmer. (hey gaz :whistling:)

Do you have a limitation with space or a limited budget?

I think a couple of people are quite fond of the Prizm skimmers.

The new Aquamedic blue also seems to be a nice skimmer. (hey gaz :whistling:)

sure is, i rate it number 1!!:thumbup: but thats just me. im selling one on behalf of my mate who is no longer going to carry on keeping fish. check the 4 sale forum if you interested.

I believe the Red Sea Prizm Pro is quite a skimmer, the Tunze wont be half bad but there goods are pricey as all hell and there is better value for money out there like the Reeftek/octo, the AM's are good value for money and Red Berlin skimmers (although dated) still offer value for money, a little fiddly though

There are many units out there worth looking at with no budget restrictions, BubbleMaster, BubbleKing, Deltec, Tunze.

Mid range, Red Sea Prism, AM blue, Reeftek/octo

Budget (not advised) Weipro, Queen, Jebo, Macro Aqua(although this is a little above the other budget units)

Best value for money IMO? Reeftek

But thats just opinion:D

whats the price of a reeftek that can handle up to 1500l?

Last edited:
whats the price of a reeftek that can handle up to 1000l?

Gaz under corection here but the TS2 is about R1500-1600 think 800L TS 3 is 1500L and about R2800 (LFS prices)

so the Ts3 is kind of the same price as the AM blue series. the one im selling is R2100 and does up to 1500l.

Hi Sabi - I have used both a ReefTek TS2 as well as a Red Sea Prizm Pro Deluxe. The Red Sea Prizm Pro really outperformed my ReefTek TS2 for the first 4 months (actually until the impeller broke).

The ONLY gripe I have with the Prizm Pro, is that the pumps are TOO strong for the impellers. The impellers keeps on breaking.
And, they are not really cheap if you buy them new.

I am very happy now at this stage with my TS2 (as I cannot really use my Prizm Pro anymore, until I get a decent impeller for it that would not break)....

I would not say that it is a "waste of money"...... It does skim out some unbelievable gunk....

Thanks for the replies. What i wanted to know more or less is what skimmer is a follow up to the reeftek in performance as well as it being cheaper. So, if the reeftek can't be taken than something that will give slightly less satisfactory results and will, at the same time, be slightly chaper.

Hi Sabi - I have used both a ReefTek TS2 as well as a Red Sea Prizm Pro Deluxe. The Red Sea Prizm Pro really outperformed my ReefTek TS2 for the first 4 months (actually until the impeller broke).

The ONLY gripe I have with the Prizm Pro, is that the pumps are TOO strong for the impellers. The impellers keeps on breaking.
And, they are not really cheap if you buy them new.

I am very happy now at this stage with my TS2 (as I cannot really use my Prizm Pro anymore, until I get a decent impeller for it that would not break)....

I would not say that it is a "waste of money"...... It does skim out some unbelievable gunk....
I see, thanks.

Nothing wrong with an AM Blue:thumbup: . My choice as well.
How much is it?
I believe the Red Sea Prizm Pro is quite a skimmer, the Tunze wont be half bad but there goods are pricey as all hell and there is better value for money out there like the Reeftek/octo, the AM's are good value for money and Red Berlin skimmers (although dated) still offer value for money, a little fiddly though

There are many units out there worth looking at with no budget restrictions, BubbleMaster, BubbleKing, Deltec, Tunze.

Mid range, Red Sea Prism, AM blue, Reeftek/octo

Budget (not advised) Weipro, Queen, Jebo, Macro Aqua(although this is a little above the other budget units)

Best value for money IMO? Reeftek

But thats just opinion:D
And it's a reeftek TS1 that i'm getting.:thumbup: Thanks for the help!

BTW, does the top (cup) part of the skimmer need to be below the top of the sump, or can it be above?

What is your opinion on the via aqua skimmers?

Back
Top Bottom