Sebea anemone, need help

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by Hypnotic Chris, 17 Apr 2011.

1. Hypnotic Chris

Hypnotic Chris

Greetings.
    Please can you advice me on the following. Today a long red/brown "string or thing" or something came out of the anemone's mouth. Since then the anemone has become very small and it looks like its dead or something. What was that long "string or thing" that came out of his mouth and why is this anemone looks like its dead, just laying on the floor?

Please can you help.

Thanks
    Chris

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jimbo

Jimbo

Hi Chris,

I have quite a few bubble tip anemones and I have seen this happen on a number of occasions. Nothing to worry about IMO just like corals get rid of excess zooxanthellae so do anemones, everything should returm back to normal by the morning.

Jimbo

4. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Well, it needed to go to the toilet quite urgently, and could not quite make it, so it had to do it in public :eek: ... I guess that it is just a bit shy now :biggrin:

Jokes aside, it is normal to expell that "smoky" string - anemones only have one opening, and what goes in through it's mouth must come out as waste through the same hole. They do tend to deflate for a while afterwards, so I won't be too concerned if it only stays that way for a few hours.

I AM a bit concerned, though, not knowing anything about your setup. Anemones are VERY difficult to keep, especially in a tank that is younger than about one year. They also require very bright light, and pristine water conditions. Please tell us a bit more about your tank setup, size, age, filtration, what lights you have, etc. we will then be in a much better position to advise you on what to do.

Hennie

5. Seabass

Seabass

That was funny, reminded me of that movie Dumb and dumber. :)

6. tkeracer619

tkeracer619

can you post a pic?

7. Tony

Tony

It could also be shedding zooxanthellae

8. Reef Maniac

Perhaps Brenda can enlighten us, but I don't think that zooxanthellae would be expelled mainly through the anemone's mouth - after all, the pathway from the tentacles to the mouth is much longer than expelling them directly through the body into the water (but this is just conjecture, I have no proof of this...).

Anyway, Chris: has the anemone lost it's colour, or become much paler than when you bought it?

Chris, I've just scanned through your other posts, and I'm now much more concerned - you have posted about losing fish, and about a slime layer (cyano ??) on your sand bed. Both are indicators that your tank is not 100%, and the suspected cyano makes me think that your tank is still very young...

In none of your posts have you given any additional information about your setup, so we are still in the dark - posting on these threads is a two-way communication, so PLEASE respond to the people who have spent precious time not only reading your posts, but also going to the trouble to answer your posts. Help us to better understand your setup, in order to give you the best advice possible.

Hennie

maxisoft likes this.
  9. Hypnotic Chris

Hypnotic Chris Thread Starter

I am so sorry that I did not tell anyone more about my tank. I just did not think it was so important. The current tank is 4ft with a sub-filter that is almost 4ft as-well. This tank has been up and running from January. I have 4 T54 in it and a 150W Metal Haylight. Have +- 25kg of live rock in it. In the sumb filter is a skimmer, filter floss, bioballs, live rock, UV lamp, coal thing.

10. Hypnotic Chris

Hypnotic Chris Thread Starter

Before I forget I may just add that the anemone looks ok today.

11. Reef Maniac

That's GOOD news :thumbup: See, I told you it was just shy, doing it in public :biggrin: You can now try to feed it again with a very small piece of fresh fish or (thawed) frozen food-type prawn or shrimp. Do this every 3-4 days, but only a day or so AFTER it has "smoked".

I assume those are T5 lamps, and not T54 lamps... Anyway, your lighting is good :slayer:

Do you mean an under gravel filter, as used in fresh-water tanks? If so, this, combined with your bio balls and filter floss could lead to serious problems with nitrites (and pest ALGAE) at a later stage - also, if the nitrate level goes too high, it will be detrimental to your corals and anemone.

Please read up about Deep Live Sand Bed (DSB or DLSB) filtration here on MASA, and either replace the bioballs with a DLSB and/or an algae filtration system (refugium or "scrubber"). This is nothing to panic about, though - for the short term (months, rather than years) your filtration should not be too bad.

This is as I suspected - your tank is still really too young/immature to be housing an anemone. You might be one of the lucky exceptions to the rule, but statistically your anemone has a very slim chance to live for more than a few months in your tank (whilst in nature they can live for hundreds of years...). Please keep it under close observation, and rather remove it to an established tank (other MASA member) or back to the shop you have bought it from, at the first sign that it is not happy. Also, VERY IMPORTANTLY, make sure that all your pump inlets are covered by sponge or some other protection to prevent the nennie from being sucked into the intake if it decides to walk around (which it probably will do in such a young tank...).

Good luck, and don't hessitate to ask for more advise if you need it :)

Hennie

12. Fishy Steve

Fishy Steve Hiden super user

Good advice as always Hennie :thumbup:

Recent Posts