Sebae Clown in hiding

Discussion in 'New Members' started by SaltyReef, 28 May 2010.

1. SaltyReef

SaltyReef

For the last week now one of my 2 Sebae Clown fish has been basically been hiding under some live rock she as the bigger of the 2 clowns has not been coming out when i feed and it has become a bit of a concern. she doesn't seem to be breathing heavily nor does she show any signs of disease.

I know that when 2 clowns are introduced to a tank usually they will battle it out a little before deciding who is the female. this is the reason i got her a bit bigger that the other and they did not seem to fight.

They were extremely happy swimming around the same area together but all of a sudden shyness prevailed and unde the rock she went.

Any ideas?

I have 2 Domino damsels in the tank that dont seem to be giving anything but the chromis a bit of trouble.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

What is the size of the clowns?
    Buying two different sized clowns, doesn't mean you will get a pair.
    Depending on how big they are, you might have two females.
    If so, nothing is going to change that.
    How is the clown behaving under the rock?
    Is he swimming parallel to the rock and sometimes nipping at the rock?

4. Anemone

Anemone

I had a domino that would only attack at night. Hey may have already pestered the clownfish. Keep an eye on the domino.

5. LifeAquatic

LifeAquatic

According to all I've read, clownfish are hermaphroditic and all are born as males. The dominant male will change sex and become female. So, Luckyfish, you are saying that if they've already turned female there's no changing back. I'd never really thought about that before. So, question... if you have 2 females will they coexist peacefully or no? If not, what's the solution... get rid of one?

6. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

Yes, once a female always a female. There is no way back.
    I think, all depends on the species. I am sure you can keep a bunch of ocellaris females together, but I doubt that will work for tomatoes.
    No idea, what happen with two sabaes.
    For example, I keep 4 banggai cardinal females together and one controls the other three. Another thing is, everybody believes the clown female is always the bigger fish.
    I got a mated pair of ocellaris and the male is much bigger than the female.
    So you would say, how can I say this. The much smaller female laid eggs onto the glass bottom of the tank shortly after mating, but the male did not fertilize the eggs.
    They are happy together in a flower pot and haven't spawned since.

Recent Posts