Seawater From Aquariums

Reaction score
Is it advisable to use seawater from the aquarium (Two Oceans Aquarium,Waterfront,Cape Town) in my tank, when i do water changes ????) Or is it better to use Tropic marine salt and R/O water sa i am doing at the moment????

Reaction score
it is an either or situation, i go collect my water directly out of the sea, some get it from the research centre in town ,others two oceans, others mix their own, mine is a financial decision, however i have also used water from research centre and 2 oceans without problems

Reaction score
its all all up 2 u..but ja thers a but...to drive all the way to 2oc or centre its petrol money or to the sea like 4 times..it can be like 300 rands petrol..Now u buy say 5kg salt or 20 kg mix with ro and that wil last 2 months depends on your tank and how many u change at a time...and salt contains lot of good stuf..but i mix now to save money..

Reaction score
ja i did too but for me to drive the long way every wekend endid up expensive,i no alot of the cpt people do....but i think im saving this way..

Reaction score
awe,ja i use ro and Dophin salt and i dose seachem,works very nice,ja panorama petshop also stock seachem salt,and aq.

Reaction score
geez like 900 bucks i think,i no its the best,but dam ja...the dophin is just over 100buks for 5 kg makes 160liters and im hapy with it

Reaction score
ja i agree its very nice stuff,u can also ad some of it ass the shops stock a wide range of there stuf and it works

Reaction score
I have found that 2OA salt water is at 1.026...

Reaction score
yes i know, but some FOWLR tanks run a 1.021 now they decide to do a big waterchange, and then some fish starts to stres, i know its little difs, but i have seen it happen to me...

Reaction score
do you need to add salt to sea water? i would think not, but just checking...

new in the game

Reaction score
Dophin salt is bad news... avoid at all costs! its really unstable - not well buffered at all!

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi guys - I use 2 Oceans water at the moment. BUT, I am too really starting to consider mixing synthetic..... BUT NOT AT R900 for 20kg! GEEZ! Perhaps I will be prepared to pay around R300 for 20kg....

What salts are available for that price?

BTW: salinity in the natural sea water changes depending on the season, (rainy or not), and how hot it was that week prior to collecting sea water.... It's not always stable (the same is true at ALL the tropical reef areas)...