SeaStars

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Storm, 5 Jul 2008.

1. Storm

Storm

Anyone know of any friendly, reef safe, colorful, easy to care for starfish that wont grow to big? (Sorry for the mouthful there :p)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Brittle stars are pretty easy going, many starfish starve in smaller tanks so be careful, Warr has done some good research on the subject, i'm sure he will be along soon.

4. Storm

Storm Thread Starter

My tank is 250L-300L, bit bigger then the stock made ones since I had many size and cracking problems in the past. 1.2M tank. size shouldn't be a problem.

5. cybervic

cybervic

go for a banded brittle star, easy to keep and reefsafe. Just be careful of the green brittle stars, they might ensnare small fishes at night.

6. Storm

Storm Thread Starter

Thats what im very afraid of when it comes to bristle stars. Ive always had the impression they where bad. We caught one in Kai Mouth once. Put it in the QT with all other fish we caught that weekend. Sadly fish started dissapearing 1 for 1 untill we finally realised who the culprit was, aka that star ;/. Besides anything with tentacles that move like that just gives the impression "meat eater, come fishys food time :X" ...

7. Warr7207

Warr7207

BrittleStars are your best bet, but don't but them for ornamental reasons, as you won't see him much. I have two in my tank and I have only seen once or twice in the last 6 months.

Check out MASApedia for more info. Seastars - Marine Aquariums of South Africa - wiki

As Weeman said, these creatures will starve if not given the correct food and environment so please make sure you get the correct species for your tank.

Recent Posts