Seasonal temperature

moz

Reaction score
I have been thinking of having 2 slightly different temperature settings for winter and summer. With a slightly higher temp (27) in summer, the chiller will hopefully turn on less and with a lower temp in winter (26) the heater will turn on less. While I am sure a greater seasonal temperature variation occurs naturally, would the change have any adverse affect on a reef tank.

Moz stop thinking and come have a Peroni:lol:

i run my chiller in winter at 25 and in summer 26.so far no ill effects

Thanks. I think I'll give it a try.

The only effect I know of with an increase in temperature is a reduction of oxygen levels in the tank, although it's not really an issue to be wholly concerned about.

Hi Moz - as you said - this happens in nature in ANY CASE. Take into account that topside (above water level) certain morphological changes occur in certain animals/plants when the temperatures drop during winter time. Each season and it's temperatures have a reason and a cause/effect. The cause/effect system is nearly always good. So, I can only think that it would be good to try and simulate nature as close as we possibly can. I know that the water temps in the Seychelles vary between 30 (summer temps) and 23/24 (winter temps). I think that Indonesia/Fiji (where a LOT of our corals comes from) is on the same (or very similar) latitude as Seychelles.

The water temps in both Sodwana as well as southern Mozambique differ between 28/29 (summer temp) and 20/22 (winter temp) - this is from personal diving experience...

Hi Moz - as you said - this happens in nature in ANY CASE. Take into account that topside (above water level) certain morphological changes occur in certain animals/plants when the temperatures drop during winter time. Each season and it's temperatures have a reason and a cause/effect. The cause/effect system is nearly always good. So, I can only think that it would be good to try and simulate nature as close as we possibly can. I know that the water temps in the Seychelles vary between 30 (summer temps) and 23/24 (winter temps). I think that Indonesia/Fiji (where a LOT of our corals comes from) is on the same (or very similar) latitude as Seychelles.

The water temps in both Sodwana as well as southern Mozambique differ between 28/29 (summer temp) and 20/22 (winter temp) - this is from personal diving experience...

So I could theoretically even have a greater difference in temps, assuming that I gradually change the temp. I think I first I'll try with a small temp difference, then when I have more confidence/experience try a larger difference.

So I could theoretically even have a greater difference in temps, assuming that I gradually change the temp. I think I first I'll try with a small temp difference, then when I have more confidence/experience try a larger difference.

Although I like the idea and I am sure you will save a bit of power what benefit is there for the tank?

Although I like the idea and I am sure you will save a bit of power what benefit is there for the tank?

I'm not sure if its beneficial, but it should not be detrimental. Like Jacques said, many organisms undergo seasonal changes, either physical or behavioral. Considering that the livestock we keep in our tanks have evolved in a seasonal environment, the changes might be interesting to observe.
Also in my not so educated option, I believe that our tanks should try to replicate the conditions found in nature as closely as possible. If possible, seasonal temperatures and lighting, lunar cycle with a tidal variation should be included (A few meter change might be difficult) and maybe even changes in the composition of the water. Although these changes might require a regional tank.

Back
Top Bottom