Sean's Surge Device

Reaction score
Thought I'll also Copy the Surge Tank from my Concrete tank thread to a thread under Pumps and waterflow to maybe show someonewho is searching here:

So I decided to close my eyes and built a surge device. Because of the amount of water going to enter the tank/sump at once, I did what one of the members suggested- Build 02 tanks...

I went searching for a square bucket the last couple of days with a thicker wall thickness as the normal buckets you get. Needless to say, I could not find any, so decided to see the people that built me the "Refugium/Bigger overflow".

01 Bucket 550mm in height, 350mm in with and length further and I walked out having to Fork out R416.00. Nearly flipped over but decided to leave it at that. Damage was done already. Spend another couple of Hundred Bucks on Pipes, Fittings, wall Brackets, glue etc and started assembling everything yesterday. I must mention that I did work out the Flow' pipesizes, pumps size etc last week already and did a rough sketch in my dairy.
So I only had to follow the Sketch right. Boy was I wrong. Completely forgot about height and after redoing everything today, decided to finish all and "Install" it. So I just finished and I must say that it works wonderful. Will definately add another "Surge Tnk" next weekend.

Photos to follow... The air inside the main display is because I closed the airvalve for you guys to see how the "Surge" works.

Oh yes, and I first tested it outside today:

The Bucket and the Fittings:

31052008531.jpg

31052008530.jpg

31052008533.jpg

Inside and Outside to show the pipe depth:

01062008560.jpg

01062008559.jpg

01062008561.jpg

Then came the Big Test to see if it'll work:

01062008562.jpg

01062008563.jpg

And Wholla, it works:

01062008565.jpg

01062008567.jpg

Then I started fitting the Brackets:

01062008570.jpg

01062008571.jpg

01062008572.jpg

Sean what do you use to pump water up, what release mechanism are you using when full to release the water and then shut off again?

Thanks Mekaeel. Alfie, no release mechanism,the water syphons out when it fills up above the bend. The pump is a Resun 2800lt an hour flow pump I "changed" a bit

And the reason for the vent valve on top is because I sealed the top with a Lid I siliconed on. No need to get inside the Surge Tank again

awesome stuff sean!!! :thumbup:

how long does it take to fill & empty?

cheers!
ant
:)

oh & is it possible perhaps to post a small video clip of it working in the tank? pretty please :)

Takes about 02 minutes to fill and about 10 seconds to empty completely, but will still have to measure

oh & is it possible perhaps to post a small video clip of it working in the tank? pretty please :)
Yip posibble, but not plausible for tonight.:whistling: Really do not have the strength left for youtube tonight. But will do it for you tomorrow...;)

nice build oom sean.

how does this thing basically work?the moment the water starts flowing over does it create a suction and then syphon out all the water in the container?

what is the other fitting at the top for?

thanks

Now where did i see one of those before.....? Sean, just one thing that bothers me: I dont see an emergency oveflow. I would advise it, although I dont see it ever coming into play, but still would put one in just to easy my worried mind.

Really impressive flow, well done. IMHO the cleaning of salt spray is a small price to pay for the awesome flow a CSD provides.

I thought about the overflow but ran out of pipe, so will definately put it in. Saltspray not really problem, as pipes are submerged with airpipe just on top of waterlevel

mmm, I see some guys only looking at pics and not reading write up. Hence so many questions.... LoL. The tank takes roughly 61 litres, but with pipe height etc it is roughly 58 litres.

yea Sean... we are photos slags :p i want to go look for something at plastics for africa today... i guess you can "plan" the surge using a timer as well if theres teh need?

Back
Top Bottom