Sealing/building foam in reef tank

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by Marlin Fischer, 12 Oct 2009.

1. Marlin Fischer

Marlin Fischer Mutantfish

Hi Guys

I'm considering using building foam/sealing foam to cover my overflow pipe of my display to make it more discreet. I apologise as i'm not certain of the name of the foam again as i dont have it with me, but its the foam that comes in an aerosole can and once u squirt it out it expands to about 3 x volume. I intend to then cover the foam around the overflow with coral chips.....trying to replicate live rock around the overflow.

I know Sean K used this to cover his plumbing in his tank.

Can i put this in my tank once it has dried, must i wash it a few times, should i be worried about any possible toxins, any other precautions i should take before inserting the overflow into my tank? Shot!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. xtreme

xtreme

following this thread

4. Drk

Drk

as it is foam you must make sure it stick tide to the glass or plastic as when it get water it will popup.

i've made my background with sement cover it in sand and pieces of rock now it is a good growning area for algea and struggle to get it of.

as water penetrate the foam will get soaked and the water inside inrot. this can polute the water. have done this in a tropical tank and the foam have released a oil like substance on the water for almost 2 months before it was clear.

5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

is it sista oam? i have seen it put onto eggcrate racking to mimic rockwork before and once cured it worked ok...not too sure how long it took for the guy to cure it though..

6. Marlin Fischer

Marlin Fischer Thread Starter Mutantfish

Yes i've seen some aquarists use it on egg crate etc. to hide equipment etc and once covered in coraline algae it looks quite natural.

The foam is normal building filling sealing foam.

Its made by Alcholin and looks the similar to Sean Koekemoers plumbing in his tank.

My biggest concern is what are the safest curing procedures and the possible slow release of any toxins once setup i the display.

My tank is a 1500L system and the overflow pipe that will be covered is a PVC 110mm pipe which is 780mm high?

Not sure if this info helps.

7. Marlin Fischer

Yes i've seen some aquarists use it on egg crate etc. to hide equipment etc and once covered in coraline algae it looks quite natural.

The foam is normal building filling sealing foam.

Its made by Alcholin and looks the similar to Sean Koekemoers plumbing in his tank.

My biggest concern is what are the safest curing procedures and the possible slow release of any toxins once setup i the display?

My tank is a 1500L system and the overflow pipe that will be covered is a PVC 110mm pipe which is 780mm high?

Not sure if this info helps.

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

As Drk said, once algae gets into it, it will be difficult too clean.

Rather leave it. With time it will be covered by coraline alge and you will not notice it.

Same as guys who done the back glass with silicone and crushed coral. Looks nice in the beginning, but algae got a nice foothold onto it and once one small piece falls off, it looks crap.

Depends on where in the tank this pipe also stands. If center back, most of the pipe will anyway be hidden by the rockworks.

9. Marlin Fischer

Reconsidering now.

What about a thin layer of silicone and crush coral/aragonite - making it less pourous (spelling)?

Its just that the overflow pipe is bright blue and could be an eyesour for quite a while until it is covered in coraline.

10. xtreme

xtreme

any pic's of your tank??

11. Drk

Drk

normal algea will grow on it as on the glass thus covering some of the blue. any pourus material will be difficult to clean check out my tank it is a algea heaven the whole background is made of sement my next option to get rig of the algea is getting a new tank without any background detail plain glas with a coloured background.

Recent Posts