Seahorses

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Maddy, 21 Jan 2016.

1. Maddy

Maddy

Hi everyone. Are there any seahorse fans out there who have seahorses at the moment and are experienced with them?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. faizaandock

faizaandock

hi had some experience with them but then sold one after the other got stung by aptasia also had another pair which was sold

4. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

What help do you need? Quite a few people on the forum can assist :)

5. Maddy

Maddy Thread Starter

Don't need help thank you, I'm looking for other seahorse lovers as I have erectus seahorses that I'm trying to get a good home for. Have too many tanks. Maintenance on all of them is getting a bit rough for me. But looking for someoene very dedicated, also a seahorse lover.

6. ScubaLover22

ScubaLover22

I am looking to change my nano into a seahorse tank but have no experience with them. I would need advice before taking them on. Could you provide the do's and don't with the delicate creatures.

7. Maddy

Maddy Thread Starter

Hi, sorry I'm only replying now. My horses are in a 300 liter tank at the moment (height is 60cm). I think you can even go a bit smaller (but not too shallow as they prefer height to width). The erectus I understand can grow I think to about 20 cm in length and are very tough horses, apparently the best for beginners. But even with that said, mine picked up a bacterial infection. If I had to guess roughly I'd say mine are about 12 to 13cm at this stage. Erectus aren't found very easilly in the petshops. I (with the help of a friend) imported them. I keep the temp at 21/22 to minimise bacterial infections and you can't put any stinging corals in like torches, frogspawns etc. Other than that the tank must also be aptasia free. They are also very slow eaters so there shouldn't be any fish with them that are competition for food. I keep them by themselves to also avoid any diseases as if the fish get sick the horses can also get sick. But you can keep peaceful fish with them. Other than that your water quality must be good to avoid bacterial infections.

butcherman and tekkengal like this.
  8. Aurora

Aurora

Love some pics if you get time!!

Recent Posts