Seahorses

Discussion in 'Other Livestock' started by lIghty, 20 Mar 2008.

1. lIghty

lIghty

My GF wants to keep seahorses in my old tank once everything has been moved to my new setup, I don't have money to buy another chiller and the water temp will normally be about 28c but probably up to 30c on a very hot day. Are there any species that could handle that and that aren't difficult to keep, I know I'm asking for a lot, but if you don't ask you'll never know.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Obi-Wan

Obi-Wan

WHOOAAH , there cowboy!!!

First off, I commend your GF for wanting to KEEP an interest in FURTHER marine-life.

That being said, I also like your approach to asking FIRST.

NO, none of the seahorse species available for aquarists can remotely be considered for tanks which have not had loads of forethought, and preparation for them.

~This includes STABLE TEMPERATURE, between 23-26 maximum variation 2degrees for the tropical species.

~There a few temperate(cooler water) species, but they would need temps hovering around 20C, not much you can do there then....

~PLENTY of suitable LiveFoods or, another NUTRITIOUS food source.
    NOT artemia/brineshrimp.

~Zero to minimal nitrogenous wastes

~Well saturated, Oxygenated water

~Moderately low flow, with HIGH, filtration capacity. Not too easy to balance these conventionally.

~Disease prone, especially to hydroids, parasites, bacterial lesions, exophthalmos, embolisms.

~Tank should be many times the eventual MAXIMUM height of seahorse species to allow them free reign(!!??).

~Anyway, healthy seahorses will want to BREED.
    Breeding routine, requires their rise upwards for at least 4-5times their height.

The long and short of it... No marine species, especially the sensitive types of which seahorses ae DEFINITELY counted as, can healthily maintain life processes at your proposed Temperature range.

At higher temps, you have higher respiration rate, higher metabolism.

This means added stressors, leading to immune breakdown, and asphyxiation, not to mention a near impossibility of providing regular, nourishing food.

Thanks for taking the initiative

4. lIghty

lIghty Thread Starter

thanks for your advice, looks like we will have to save for a chiller and do a lot more homework on this matter, they are just to beautiful to tempt fate.

5. Anemone

Anemone

I don't pretend to know anything about seahorses, but I do recommend people to this site: www.seahorse.org

Hope you find it helpful.

Recent Posts