Seahorses Wanted

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by LisaDurbs, 6 Mar 2009.

1. LisaDurbs

LisaDurbs

Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get some seahorses from. I would love to get a couple of them for a seahorse-only tank. Ideally I'm looking for any species not bigger than 20cm. I appreciate any help.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. lIghty

lIghty

Hi Lisa, Welcome to MASA.

Have you had a marine aquarium before, if not, I would HIGHLY recommend rather not getting seahorses, as they very sepcial needs / requirements.

These lovely animals have special dietry requirements and cannot simply just be fed by chucking in some food and running away. I have now had my six ponies probably just over a year, and I never imagined what I would learn over this time. If you really want them, PLEASE do research them properly, as well as there habitat requirements, and when you think you know enough, go do some more reading.

Not trying to sound so negative, just really hurts me when people buy these animals without knowing enough to keep them alive.

Please feel free to PM me if you would like some info, also Jacquesb has some ponies too.

4. LisaDurbs

LisaDurbs Thread Starter

PM sent, thanks!

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Lisa - I must apologize for only responding now. I agree 100% with what lIghty said.

I have 2 ponies in a 300 litre aquarium with a HUGE amount of live rock. The sea-horses only stay alive, because there are also HUGE HUGE amounts of copepods and amphipods in my tank. I feed the tank - not the ponies, as they live of live feed only.....

I would not suggest keeping sea horses in anything less than a VERY MATURE 300 litre tank, with a huge amount of live rock (breeding ground for pods), and possibly huge amounts of macro algae.....

Recent Posts