Urgent help needed Seahorses dying

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by HMSA, 5 Aug 2011.

1. HMSA

HMSA

Hi people.

Please can you advice me for I have lost 3 seahorses in just 2 days. I bought last weekend 6. The hole week they eat and was happy. Yesterday when I came home 1 was already dead and later the other 1. Today when I came home another died.

This is a new tank that did cycle for 6weeks before I put them in. Did check the water last night and water is 100%. It looks like these seahorses get a few fits and then they die. I have been feeding them live brine shrimps. I will take the 1 that died today tommorow to a vet, but I am afraid I will loose more

Please can you advice me. This is no joke and I really feel sorry for them.

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. noproblem

noproblem

Ask the local fish shop for a refund. They should never have sold them to a new reefer in a new tank. Just my 2 cents worth
    Hopefully there will be a member near you that can help.

4. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

6 ponies? How big is your tank?
    What filtration are you using?

What other fish / corals do you have in the tank?

5. lIghty

lIghty

What are your water parameters, the reads!

pH, NO3, Nh3/Nh4, temp.

Are they gasping at the surface?

To they seem to float to the top?

Are any of the pumps flow breaking the water surface, for oxygenation?

6. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

In addition to the previously asked questions regarding water quality, etc, have you been hatching the brine shrimps yourself? Have you enriched or fed the shrimps before feeding the sea horses (BBS are only nutritional for the first 12-24 hours after hatching, and lose nutritional value quite fast after that. Even when freshly hatched, they are not very nutritional if they have not been "gut loaded" with HUFA or some form of phytoplankton, and it's quite possible that your fish have just starved to death.

Please post more details, and if possible a photo of your tank and filtration.

Hennie

7. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

really sorry to hear man. how much did you research before you bought them and do u have a marine tank before you got the seahorses?

8. lIghty

lIghty

I would like to know which LFS sold them..... It just p1sses Me off! Honest

Last edited: 5 Aug 2011
  9. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

I got a p1ss pan. You might want to rent maybe?

10. lIghty

lIghty

:lol:, got plenty nappies on hand remember. :thumbup:

I know this is a request for help thread, but NJ, how do you feel about this?

11. Manic

Manic Moderator

Instead of getting on this guys back can we just try help him. LFS are there to make money and for some of them that is all. They don't care about livestock. So let's just try save the rest of the sea horses lives instead of talking shit about pet shops. That is a completely different argument all together

12. lIghty

lIghty

I hear you Manic, but both Hennie and myself have asked for further info so we can offer some advise.

It could be so many different things.

@HMSA, got any test results for us?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  13. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Years ago there were many species of marine creatures that were taboo. Hobbyists persisted, and the hobby and industry progressed. Unfortunately many creatures have met their end in this process and many more will still result in the same end as we strive to meet and understand the challenges. I am not giving an excuse for poor handling or education from a LFS or Newbies point to view.

Sea horses are rightly a CITES recognised species. This restricts trade from country to country and stops exploitation. However frustrating this may seem to the aquariust in SA we need to respect laws and regulations. They are made for a reason. I will not, and have not got the time to debate the issue.

All sea horses purchased need to have a CITES permit.

At this time i am not aware of any local (south African) breading entity that has permits to bread and sell cultured sea horses. Something we as hobbyists hope to change.

This is where conflict occurs. We want to be able to bread different species that tickle our fancy. CITES are worried about exploitation. Countries are worried about evasiveness. hobbyist are upset because they cannot get stock. industry feel their lively hood is jeopardised. people that read issues in the news and papers do the national dance. threads like this have negative impact.

I suppose it goes back to the education of the LFS personnel. Of course the LFS proprietor needs similar advice. Some have good intentions but are led up the garden path.

I feel sorry for the ailing sea horses. BUT i will not give advice on how to save it. That is the responsibility of the seller. If we continue to to try and save every thing that any unscrupulous LFS palms off onto a newbie the market for seahorses and anemones and sun corals and and and..... will never end. It is like trying to save bleached anemone that you purchase to save, only to find a replacement in the store the next week.

@HMSA i am sorry if i come across abrupt. But please take up the issue with the supplier of the sea horses and direct them here.

archiecrain likes this.
  14. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

Thanks Nemos janitor karma coming your way

15. jacoc

jacoc

@Manic...this is so true...the lfs will now get all the blame where here on the forum most of the advice to newbie’s is the same...cycle your tank for 6 weeks when all the water parameters is in place you can start to stock...to a newbie this means he can now buy corals and whatever a lfs is selling and after a few months he can even get himself a nennie...but the moment something goes south the lfs and a tank that is still battling to cope with fish only never mind corals gets the blame...
    And on seahorse topics in my opinion there are really only maybe 4 guys here on the forum that can give advice...

16. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

@lIghty asked me for my though and I responded after making the assumption that @HMSA had not been informed by the retailer as to the requirements and difficulty of keeping sea horses. This of course may not be the case.

One might argue that it is not the retailers responsibility to inform the consumer of the difficulties and proper requirements to keep livestock. Well If that is the general thinking then you might be shocked to find out that the consumer protection act makes for such a provision. This is going to change the way live stock is sold with retailers making the consumer sign disclaimers that they have been properly informed and understand the species requirements. I am delighted at this responsible move because the LFS will have to properly inform the consumer preventing sensitive issues like this one.

So please don't think I am running anyone down. Just trying to get a point across.

For help on the sea horses @Anemone and @Steve Warren are probably the best to assist.

17. archiecrain

archiecrain

This if enforced cauld save many animals lives I reckon.....

Last edited: 6 Aug 2011
  18. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

The enforcement is in the consumers hands. It will only take a few consumers to take a couple of LFS to court and the word will get around causing a quick attitude change towards responsibility.

Ok that is enough on this topic. Let's hope @HMSA gets sorted and pointed in the right direction.

19. HMSA

HMSA Thread Starter

Thanks

To those he repsonded positve, I do thank you. I must say another one has died this morning. I will take him to the vet now for the vet will investigate him. Here is more info.

Water test: ph=8,2 - ammonia= 0 - nitrate=0 , nitarte= 0.
    The tank I have them in is a 3ft tank with internal filter that consist out of 4 compartments, life rock and filter floss. I also have a internal skimmer. The tank have a sand bed and live rock inside. I also a soft coral, 3 mushrooms (hard), 1 live plant and live seaweed. Water temp. is 25 degree and the flow is according to me ok for seahoreses. When i cyceled the tank I did use Micro Bacter 7,. I feed the seahorses live BS that I buy from my local petshop. I do not add the water in what the BS comes in into my tank. I scoop water from my tank and put the BShrimps in there. I did read up about how to keep seahorses and believe I did cover most important factors. I did not yet make an in-dept study yet.

For those that has used my thread post to express there personal feelings and I stupid question like how I feel about it and have a p1ss pan and nappies and all these things, I am sorry but I sit here and think to myself if you are looking for entertainmnet or attention or what????????????????? I post a thread for help and some EXPERTS respond like this. Making jokes and all these things. So much for HELP. Is this what I can expect from some people on this forum?? This is what I so love about people in SA. We trying so much to keep people in this hobby, we trying so hard to develop ways in growing this hobby. But this is what I get. Because this was now my fisrt seahorses tank and things went wrong, this is what I get. But it was assumed I was a new hobbiest some people did not know that I have other 9 tanks that I have set up succsefully with fish. Some people do not even know that I am in negotiations with the depart. of fishery regarding breading program. But this is responses I get from some people. No wonder some people just leave this hobby. I hope you all that sended me these negative responses feel happy and laugh so much.

And just to stand up for the shop that has supplied me, I just want to thank them because they said they will replace my lost. This is what I call service.

20. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

I'm sorry to hear that another one has died..:(

21. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

@HMSA I most certainly did not mean to offend you. If a came across that way I apologize for causing you discomfort. As I stated I and some other members thought you were getting mistreated by a LFS. We get very protective of how LFS treat newbies. I and i am sure a lot of other members thought the same, especially as you only have a few posts.
    It is encouraging to hear the the LFS that supplied you is helping in replacing stock and guidance.

Recent Posts