Urgent help needed Seahorse Fry

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Mc, 13 Sep 2012.

1. Mc

Mc

My male seahorse was floating on the top of the water and had a very swollen pouch, so I read up on it and discovered he had gas in his pouch.

I started squeezing the pouch gently to try get some of the air out.
    A whole lot of air came out and at the same time a bunch of baby seahorses.

I'm not sure if I damaged them during the squeezing, or if they were not ready to come out, but they don't seem to be swimming very well. I have them in a little net in the tank for now. I have read about raising them and know how much of a chalenge it is.

What I want to know is should they be swimming normally?
    What else can I do to help them?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Awesome, good luck with them, sorry but can't offer any advice, hope you manage to save some of them.

All I know is they will need very little flow.

4. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

get in touch with @Quinton, he knows of a memeber with knowledge on ponies... good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. Mc

Mc Thread Starter

Thanks Viper and gman.

Also @Sea-Horse maybe you can comment.

6. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

what breed are they and how long has he been pregnant?

7. Mc

Mc Thread Starter

H.kuda, its hard to tell how long exctly judging by the swollen pouch a few weeks.

8. butcherman

if so incubation period is 4 5 weeks. typicaly you will need to put them a jelly fish style tank, called a kriesel. if they are premature they will be very difficult to care for. for now put them in a small tank or bucket with an airstone. You should not keep them in your main tank.

9. Mc

Mc Thread Starter

They are in a net in the main tank for now, it is meant for fish fry.

10. Steve Warren

Steve Warren

You can try to raise some of them in a large jar with an airline or a small fish tank. The airline should not have an airstone, it is mainly to provide circulation of the water and the bubble setting should not be very strong, this way you can do partial water changes with water from the parents tank. Rotifer would be the preferable first food, followed by newly hatched brine shrimp, you will also ideally use phytoplankton to tint the jar green, this helps to counter the waste production and also helps the babies hunt the rotifer. There must always be food in the tank and in the unlikely event that you raise them past a week you will also need cultures of phytoplankton, preferably not nano, and be raising brine shrimp and gut loading the brine shrimp. Do not expect to be successful the first time around if you were not prepared. Check on the father, if you did not roll your fingers when you squeezed out the pouch it will very likely be damaged and need treatment as it's skin may have been rubbed. Good luck and join seahorse.org if you have not already.

11. Steve Warren

Steve Warren

You should look at posts by Luckyfish, hypn, seahorse, timinnl, Anemone and myself as well as others on both forums for info on cultures for feeding and also on raising seahorses, look in the seahorse threads and also breeding threads.

12. Mc

Mc Thread Starter

Thanks Steve I have been reading as much as I can.
    I am not a member of seahorse.org but I do use the site as a resource quite often, thats where I found out about the gas and the procedure to get rid of it.

The babies are definately damaged and it doesn't look like they will make it.
    The male seem to be ok but I will keep a close eye on him.

13. Steve Warren

Steve Warren

In that case I would not worry about the babies this time around, rather check on the male. Seahorse.org is free so you should join it, look at the medical treatments in case the gas issue reoccurs and if it is OK then establish some phytoplankton and rotifer cultures, don't bother with nano, rather try and get tet or Iso as they are able to be digested by brine shrimp. Also get used to decapsulating brine shrimp eggs and hatching them. Put a few buckets in the sun and put water taken from doing water changes into them, throw excess cultures and brine shrimp into them and you will eventually have some brine shrimp breeding, even if it is only for several months.

14. Sea-Horse

Sea-Horse

Hi MC,
    Apologies I did not reply earlier but a power failure has left me out of contact with the world for the past few hours. At the same time I think the fact that Steve picked up the threat was a plus in all terms. Like with Steve I will recommend going to the Sea-horse forum for help but get ready for a question and answer session.

The pouch dilation could have been brought about by many reasons - one of them the fact that he was mating and some air could have entered the pouch, another possibility is of course a problem with the pregnancy.

I can't agree more with Steve that looking after the male might be a better idea than worrying about the young which are most probably premature. If the male is still carrying the rest of the young could be born at a later date - be prepared.

If he does abort this pregnancy he will be doing the mating dance in a matter of a few days. Like anything else sea-horses has to overcome a learning curve when it comes to mating. A question often seen on the Sea-Horse forum is spilt eggs where mating has not succeeded and Sea-horses aborting the eggs. I once had a male that consistently aborted his eggs but the reason was never discovered.

If you need some tigriops or help with newly hatched brine shrimp please give me a shout, I normally have them available on short notice. Investigating a Kriesel tank as suggested by @butcherman might not be a bad idea.

Here is hoping that the next delivery is a smooth one.

butcherman likes this.
  15. viper357

Update? :) Did any of the babies survive? And hows the Dad?

16. Mc

Mc Thread Starter

Males doing great, but he isn't a dad anymore.
    Will try and be more prepared next time, seem like he is trying to mate again already.

17. viper357

Cool, yip, a couple more practice runs and you should have it taped. Keep us posted, I've been told you can expect batches every 10 or so days I think, hope you're not busy. ;)

18. Mc

Mc Thread Starter

Cool I will keep you posted.

19. butcherman

I know H. Reidi incubate @ 14 days

I think H. kuda is a little more.
    From wiki

20. viper357

I was close :p

Recent Posts