Seachem Seagel causing milky water

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So originally when I setup my tank I ran Seagel in a reactor since I expected it to remove phosphates and keep the water clear. From the onset the water stayed milky and then I thought I'd try vodka dosing to reduce nitrates and read that having phosphate remover could counter act the effects of the vodka - subsequently I removed the reactor containing the Seagel and a day or two later the water was crystal clear.

So I owned it up to the vodka. I have now had some GHA showing up so I put the reactor back to reduce phosphates. Not even 10 minutes later the milkyness was back.

Therefore my conclusion is that the milkyness is caused by the Seagel...

Any ideas why? Not sure if it could be the because if the GAC not having been washed but that would have subsided by now.

RiaanP

Reaction score
According to their instructions it should be in a bag
Directions
Use 500 mL for each 300–450 L (80–120 gallons*). Use in a filter bag. Rinse in freshwater before use. Use caution, since product will fizz and heat on initial wetting. SeaGel™ will function 3–4 months. May also be used in freshwater that is not phosphate buffered.
In a reactor you would have too much friction against each other, like with NP-pellets.

Top Bottom