Seachem Pond Matrix vs Cheato TL550 - Rating

Reaction score
I would like to get an idea on how well the Seachem pond Matrix works in the TL550. Is it worth my while adding more Pond matix or should I start using Cheato?

You help will be appreciated.

Reaction score
If it is for nitrate reduction then matrix will most probably be better. For cheato you need a biggish fuge in relation to tank size. An external fuge will work but it is but always possible to add one.

RiaanP

Reaction score
Matrix will be more anaerobic in slow flow areas. Higher flow will be more aerobic.

In a TL550, if you use the back compartments, is would be far easier to use Matrix than setting up a cheato chamber. Especially if you keep the lid.

Reaction score
Going to be difficult to get a factual answear on this. You would have to run parallel identical tanks and compare otherwise it’s kind of hearsay.

I have never used Matrix but I did consider it once and did some google on it, I got the impression that conditions have to be just right for it to do its thing, too much or too little flow and it doesn’t work plus detritus build up is a risk. The initial outlay is not cheap either, at least not for a big tank.

Chaeto reduces PO as well so that is a plus. According to the Triton method website your Cheoto area needs to be 10 -20% of Tanks volume for effective Nitrate control which is a problem if you got a small sump.

Best find somebody who has tried both and see what they have to say.

hotdog83

Clone Fish
Reaction score
I have my doubts that Matrix will remove nitrates, suspect it will become a nitrate factory in the end trapping detritus, as it is not easy to get anaerobic conditions just right for nitrate reducing bacteria, not even LR is very effective at removing nitrates.

Reaction score
I run matrix stones and chaeto in a tank similar to a tl550. Matrix works well as a nitrate remover considering it is up to 50 times more porous than live rock.

You do need to rinse the matrix bags once a month as if you dont do this its not as effective. I do this everytime i do a water change (weekly).

My 1kg of matrix sits at the bottom of my overflow chamber

And why make it an either or choice? There is enough space in the back of a tl550 for both

Last edited:

4x5

Reaction score
I have my doubts that Matrix will remove nitrates, suspect it will become a nitrate factory in the end trapping detritus, as it is not easy to get anaerobic conditions just right for nitrate reducing bacteria, not even LR is very effective at removing nitrates.
There's a long thread documenting it and siporax on Reefcentral. It seems to work well.

Top Bottom