Seachem Paraguard for a reef aquarium?

Discussion in 'Quarantine Tanks, sick fish, QT corals' started by Mc, 27 Aug 2011.

1. Mc

Mc

Does anyone know whether Seachem's Paraguard is safe to use in a reef aquarium?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. rob189

rob189

dude i dont think so. i think it has copper in it. too lazy to find my bottle of it :p

4. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Hi , it used to be , i treated my tanks regulary in the shop, there was a break in supply for about 2 months and then i had a few problems with it and clams and mushrooms.
    ( i think they changed the formula , but no one from the suppliers believe me... )

Its a Aldahyde formula, and is fish and filter safe as the bottle says , and last week i did use it in a full reef tank in the shop , but under dosed by putting only 6 of the 8 caps as directions told me to do without a problem - but wouldn't do it again if i wasnt realy desperate.

David

5. Mc

Mc Thread Starter

Thanx David, that helps. What would you recomend for parasites?

6. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

There allot of controversy about the right treatment , but i used up my 4 quarenteen tanks at work - so i ( slowly ) lowered the tanks salinaty to 1020 normaly runs at 1023 - paragaued dip for the hour and used herbatana , as long as the fish is eating well and the water is good , the fish should shrug it off.

I put a Purple tang / fox face and Queen trigger into my home tank last week as the were looking ver weak from there delivery to us - they all had WS 2 days later and from yesterday ,only the purple has it , - oh yes putting lots of gaurlic into there food ( soaking the krill in in for a couple of hours)

But there will practicly always be Ws and other nasties in the system unless you go to great means to eradicate the Parrasites from the system and quarrenteen all your fish and coral before introducing them to your tank again.

My point is - when ws free - if your water quality is good ( very importent) and the fish are eating they should resist the nasties in the system untill they get seriously stressed .

This is just my experience with out a hospital tank available - mayby some one else can give a alternitive for you...

Good luck
    David

Last edited by a moderator: 27 Aug 2011
  7. williet

williet Look at the shiny LEDs!!!

Hi mc

What parasites are we talking about?

The most common on the forum experienced by reefers is white spot. Best i can suggest is the transfer method introducing into a tank ( that has had no ich before or has gone through the recommended fallow period.) this is the best way to tackle parasites is before it gets into your dt. (trust me i have learnt the lessons from not quaranting.)

No good cure is reef safe. The likes herbtana and artemis/heal all are awesome for boosting immunity and health. It does not Kill parasites. It assists the fish to build an immunity that brings them into a biological balance(thus means there is white spot and the fish has a strong enough resistance to fight off a full scale infection) in the tank. Bare in mind should the fish experience any stress, it will upset the balance and a full scale infection will follow.

Hope that helps?

8. Tony

Tony

Here's an answer from Seachems Website

Q: Is ParaGuard™ safe for use in marine reef tanks with invertebrates and soft corals?
    A: We do not sell or market ParaGuard as invert safe because it would be impossible to test it with every available invert under every potential water parameter. We have had people use it with invertabrates with no problems, but we have also had people encounter problems. If you decide to use it we stress caution; dose at 1/4 to 1/2 dose and observe how your inverts and soft corals react. If they seem to tolerate the dosing, increase slowly up to no more than the prescribed dose as long as they are tolerating it. If you need to get rid of the ParaGuard™ quickly, just turn your skimmer back on.

9. Mc

Mc Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys.:thumbup:
    What a stressful night I had I put a half dose of para gaurd that I already had from fresh water aquariums. After that all my corals and inverts freaked out specially carpet anemones and torch, So I decided to move everything to my new tank that was almost finished cycling, just left the infected fish in the old tank which is now running as a quarintine tank and put an extra dose of special blend in the new tank.
    All is doing well so far no losses, in fact looking better than ever.:)

10. williet

Great to hear. Now you have to keep them in qt for at least 30 days because some tomonts may have sneaked into your new tank! Trust me-it is worth the wait!

11. Mc

Mc Thread Starter

Thanks Williet.

Will keep them in QT for 30 days then. I have been using the para gaurd and they are looking better but I do understand the life cycle of ich and other parasites is more complex then them just falling off.

12. williet

Pleasure!

Recent Posts