Seachem De-nitrate media

Discussion in 'Chemical Filtration / Low Nutrient Systems - LNS' started by 2balive, 12 May 2011.

1. 2balive

2balive

Hi

Has anyone used this? View? Pro & Cons?

Will this work in a Water Boy 3in1 filter ?

Is there other/better/cheaper products?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

I use it and I'm happy with it. I dont know whether I can attribute it directly to my zero nitrates but Seachem products are generally reliable. The only drawback is that you have to restrict the flow to 200lph in order for it to work well. For thiis you need a zeo reactor or a small canister filter. Also some of the stones float and you must make sure you stop those from entering your sump, pumps, skimmer etc

4. Sentari

Sentari

Len also what are you trying to achieve. There's 2 products mainly Purigen and De-Nitrate.

Here's the main difference between the 2.

5. Tony

Tony

Len, there is also Matrix which is similar to de-nitrate but it can work under a higher flow rate

6. 2balive

2balive Thread Starter

I still busy evaluating filtration options for a 130l nano that I have bought and hope to setup in the next month (or two).

Like the "natural" aspect of the De-nitrate and easy of installation and low maintenance. Can also monitor its performance by collecting the outflow and measure the nitrates level (vs tank level).

Had a small DSB in my last one, not sure if it ever worked or if it was a problem in its own right. Also a serios mission to put in (my hands just don't fit into the back) and the fact that I can take it to an outside the "sump" reactor gives me ample of space for a refugium in the back.

This media just sounded to good to be true! Small, pebble form, can go in a normal reactor and/or filter, no need for replacement or special equipment? :whistling:

Is there alternative suppliers to Seachem?

Will (again) run Purigen, see it a bit like an insurance policy, also simple to use and monitor.

7. Tony

Tony

Len bear in mind it needs to slow flow to work. Probiotics and carbon dosing will also reduce nutrients

8. 2balive

2balive Thread Starter

Dosing required on top of De-nitrate

Hi

I got the slow flow, but where does the bacteria gets it carbon from and how do the degassing happen?

E.g. does this work on its own without dosing additional stuff for it to work?

Here is a explanation of how de-nitrification work from my Discus days, has it changed?

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/archive/index.php/t-62268.html

Last edited: 13 May 2011
  9. Tony

Tony

Len, the carbon source is generally added with vodka. Denitrification is suppose to happen within the structure of the stone and is untimately the nitrogen cycle reversed with the end product being ammonia gas.

10. 2balive

2balive Thread Starter

11. Tony

Tony

But it's nice to add a variety of bacteria to seed it and help with nutrient reduction in other areas like your live rock and gravel. They can house billions of bacteria. My tank has about three pieces of LR and the rest is base rock and I still achieve zero nutrients because of the bacteria and vodka dosing

12. rakabos

rakabos

@Tony do u reckon Seachem denitrate will work ok in reactor with 300L pump? Or should i rather look ar Matrix?

I have 80kg LR in my 700L tank, would adding either of these even make a difference?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  13. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

@rakabos why do u want to add this to your tank you having issues? cos last i saw your tank looked great and i like to believe in the "if it aint broke dont fix it" philosophy

14. rakabos

rakabos

GHA and cyano issues, thats why ;)

15. coswecanfly

coswecanfly

My nitrates were a little high this morning so I added de-nitrate with my purigen... :biggrin:

16. Tony

Tony

Martin, this should work perfectly because the flow does slow down due to friction, elbows and working its way through the media so go for it. You should need about 2 bottles of de-nitrate for your tank volume. I would also seriously consider probiotics. I can give you a vial of biodigest to get you started. See how it goes as the stuff works extremely well especially with vodka dosing. Maybe you try that before blowing R400-00 buck on De-nitrate

Last edited: 3 Jul 2011
  17. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

@rakabos

Sorry man i would advise to go back to basics and see what has caused the issue

18. rakabos

rakabos

LOL its called overfeeding, nothing to do with basics

19. AndrévN

AndrévN

Always good to go back to basics but if one knows the cause it makes it easier..... To eradicate the problem. ;)

20. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

over feeding u say, than i will have to say that this is not the method you want to take as you need something that will take up the extra poop in your system, better light in your fuge if you have 1, run more phos remover, skim wetter, bigger waterchanges or does Vodka:thumbup:

21. Tony

Tony

With probiotics you can feed a little extra with no ill effects. Couple this with a lot of live rock and carbon dosing I cant see a problem. If you add the purigen and de-nitrate this will be an added bonus to lower nutrients and allow heavier feeding.Try the probiotics first then see if you want to add the purigen and de-nitrate unless you have already added this

Recent Posts