Seachem Clarity: Anyone tried it? Does it work?

Quinton

Smarty-pants Newbie
Reaction score
Anyone used this stuff?
I have quite a lot of fine particulate matter in my water column. No idea exactly what it is, but neither skimming nor filter floss seems to remove it. My guess is that it may be fine aragonite stirred up by my sand-sifting gobies.

Anyhow, it's been there several months now, and doesn't seem to be going away, so I'm considering using this Seachem Clarity product. But I'm always super-paranoid about chucking stuff in my water unless I know exactly what it's likely to do and not do.

Anyone used this stuff on an SPS reef tank? Does it clarify the water? Any ill effects?

http://www.seachem.com/products/prod...s/Clarity.html
Clarity FAQ

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
I have tried various Sea Chem products and have always been happy with the results, although i have never tried this particular product.
Another method of clearing water is with the use of Activated Carbon.

Reaction score
Quinton, I had the same problem, the only way I sorted it was running a super fine filter (normally a stocking) on my sump outlet and changing it once a week.

The sleeper gobies are going carry on sand shifting, they never stop. You will have a clean substrate but it constantly puts the substrate particles into suspension.

It took about two months till I got my water column clearer. And it still not 100% but way better.

Another option is get rid of the sleeper;)

Quinton

Smarty-pants Newbie
Reaction score
Dudes! I love my sleepers! There's no wayz they're going. Keep my sand clean, which improves light reflection magnificently.

I'm hoping that over time the finest aragonite will end up in the filter/skimmer, and what's left will sink fairly rapidly after the sleepers have hoisted it into the water column. Is this realistic or am I on crack?

Reaction score
Dudes! I love my sleepers! There's no wayz they're going. Keep my sand clean, which improves light reflection magnificently.

I'm hoping that over time the finest aragonite will end up in the filter/skimmer, and what's left will sink fairly rapidly after the sleepers have hoisted it into the water column. Is this realistic or am I on crack?
I eventually captured most of it in my stocking

Quinton

Smarty-pants Newbie
Reaction score
Cool. Come to think of it I have a goby in my nano, and don't have the problem there. But I have much finer filter floss in the nano. I'll give that a bash, as well as the Clarity.