Sea water or synthetic

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Both are fine, but if you have an area where you can collect unpolluted sea water then i would go for that.

moz

Reaction score
Johan, I use NSW and don't have many problems. Flat Rocks is a good place to collect water in PE, the water there is generally clean although it is better when the wind is not blowing.

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Natural sea water will laways be better than even the best synthetic salt, there will be so much more in it, but as the guys have said, be very careful when collecting, you could end up with a poluted tank.

Reaction score
Please elaborate. :)
The same way NSW has beneficial planktons it also can have parasites, flukes, and unwanted fish larvae.

Most of the time it is cool, but some of the hardcore reefers won't take the chance, synthetic makes them the "GOD" of their systems, with total control. :)

moz

Reaction score
The same way NSW has beneficial planktons it also can have parasites, flukes, and unwanted fish larvae.
But thats the same risk we take when adding live rock/sand to our systems, granted the rock and sand is not added on a weekly (OK sometimes I'm lazy, fortnightly) basis.

Last edited:
Reaction score
But thats the same risk we take when adding live rock/sand to our systems, granted the rock and sand is not added on a weekly (OK sometimes I'm lazy, fortnightly) basis.
Too true, I have been caned by live rock's little surprises :whistling:

Reaction score
Ok, get what you saying. But in the last +- 15 years of using NSW i've ha no issues with it.
Just once (my fault) i collected water from where there was a storm water outlet.
Same with synthetic :whistling: