Sea urchin ID please

Reaction score
NO, IT IS NOT A PENCIL URCHIN jACQUES. i GOT ONE FROM dEAN SOME MONTHS BACK, WILL LET YOU KNOW NOW. sORRY, DAMN CAPITAL LETTERS

Reaction score
Yes, sorry Jacques, I also just checked. Obviously because I used a name given to me by someone and never checked if the name was right. So, my mistake. The name I was told is: Banded Sea Urchin, but if I google it, it looks like this:

Echinothrix-calamaris.jpg

The real one though is the one you mentioned, which is the: Eucidaris metularia, or also called a banded Pencil Urchin

12.jpg

Reaction score
But, according to Calfo's book, this is actually the Echinothrix Calamaris or known as the Hatpin urchin

Echinothrix-calamaris.jpg

Reaction score
I've owned a few of them over time (in fact, there's still one living in my sump somewhere), so here's a word or two of advise:

1. They are BULLDOZERS and will knock down any loose coral or smaller piece of LR. If your rock structure is not very stable they could actually cause a rockslide, which could crack your tank...
2. They eat algae - most any algae, which also includes coralline algae. In fact, mine preferred to eat the nicest pieces of coralline algae in the tank. They will also eat your macro algae that you want to have growing, but won't eat pest algae such as bubble algae.
They have been reported as eating corals as well. I have never had this problem with any of the "pencil urchin" species, but it's worth keeping a close watch on them.

Hennie

Reaction score
Wow ,

Thanks guys for the replies. OK so my initial ID of pencil urchin was indeed correct.
The urchin is still very small at this stage ( the size of an old 5c coin) and I normally only see him at night.

He does not seem to venture very far in the tank , but remains close to where the largest patches of coralline algea are found.

Hennie, my rocks are all secure so no danger of the urchin knocking them over at present.

I just hope he survives. My tank is now 5 weeks into cycling and so far so good.

Reaction score
I've owned a few of them over time (in fact, there's still one living in my sump somewhere), so here's a word or two of advise:

2. They eat algae - most any algae, which also includes coralline algae.
Hennie
Hennie,

Just a question. I was searching www.reefkeeping.com and according to the website the Eucidaris Metularia are carnivorous species.
Don't misunderstand me... I am not doubting your statement, just seems to be a bit of conflicting opinions with regards to the diet of these urchins.

Also, is there any special care that needs to be given to these urchins ? ( additives, additional feeding etc. )
:)

dallasg

Reaction score
hi, have u got a thread in the members setup area so we can see your tank?
i stay down the road from u in sunninghill

Reaction score

dallasg

Reaction score
cool

Reaction score
...Just a question. I was searching www.reefkeeping.com and according to the website the Eucidaris Metularia are carnivorous species.
Don't misunderstand me... I am not doubting your statement, just seems to be a bit of conflicting opinions with regards to the diet of these urchins. :)
No problem - it's always good to check facts :)

More correctly, they should be called omnivores, as they will eat anything, plants AND animals. As I warned in my post:
They have been reported as eating corals as well. I have never had this problem with any of the "pencil urchin" species, but it's worth keeping a close watch on them.
Personally, I have had a few species of "pencil urchins" over the years, and I have never had any evidence that they attacked/ate my corals or any other higher-order animals in the tank. I suppose that they are much like most other animals we keep - individuals, with individual wants and needs. Some people have reported that they have successfully kept triggers, and one even a parrot fish, in a reef tank, but that does not take anything away from the warning that these fish are not reef safe...

Also, is there any special care that needs to be given to these urchins ? ( additives, additional feeding etc. )
In a new tank, without much algal growth, it would be advisable to leave a piece or two of Nori in easily accessible places in the tank, at night. Apart from that, there is no real "must have" or "must do" requirements apart from general good husbandry, that is...

Here is a photo of two which I've kept:

1094963439867d94.jpg

Hennie

dallasg

Reaction score
now how do u transport those in a plastic bag, haha

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
I had two or three pencil urchins in my tank, looked similar to yours but they were model citizens.