Sea Sand Question ?

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
If I got a shipment of live sea sand shipped overnite to JHB, would I have huge amounts of die off, if I kept it wet and insulated ?

scubaninja

Achilles Tang
Reaction score
hmm, i dont think so. if there was a battery operated pump in there it would be fine, my LS stayed in a big bucket for close to a week with just a seio so you should be ok:)

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
Remember different bacteria live in different layers of the sand, the deeper the sand less o2.
Yeah, but I want the bacteria, that would be used in a DSB. Not really interested in the stuff that lives deeper than 150mm

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Warr - Yes - there would be SOME die-off. But not too much. Please let us know what you planning to do with the sand?

Perhaps you should let the sand "cycle" in a seperate container with a power-head only (and sea-water) for at least 2 weeks before you place this sand in your tank/sump......
Unless you are planning to start a brand new tank - then just let the sand cycle in the new tank without adding new life..... you are bound to have ammonia/nitrite spikes still....

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
Warr - Yes - there would be SOME die-off. But not too much. Please let us know what you planning to do with the sand?

Perhaps you should let the sand "cycle" in a seperate container with a power-head only (and sea-water) for at least 2 weeks before you place this sand in your tank/sump......
Unless you are planning to start a brand new tank - then just let the sand cycle in the new tank without adding new life..... you are bound to have ammonia/nitrite spikes still....
You know me, I am always looking for diversity, I can organise getting sand from a couple of different areas on the African coast. I want to add this to my DSB and SSB to introduce more bacteria and micro organisms in my system