Sea sand for DSB?

HI Arab - Yes - you can, BUT you will have to try and collect BELOW the low tide level. Meaning collect the sea sand in a tidal pool where there is water in still at low tide.

The sea sand particle size should be between 0.05mm and 1.5mm in size maximum.

For your DSB, you should collect enough sand to allow you to make your DSB at least 120mm deep.

HI Arab - Yes - you can, BUT you will have to try and collect BELOW the low tide level. Meaning collect the sea sand in a tidal pool where there is water in still at low tide.

The sea sand particle size should be between 0.05mm and 1.5mm in size maximum.

For your DSB, you should collect enough sand to allow you to make your DSB at least 120mm deep.
Why do you say it should be below low tide level?

Why do you say it should be below low tide level?

Hi Zookeeper -

As Kalkwasser and Mekaeel said:
The sand above the high water mark could contain a LOT of contaminants, metals, and other unwanted objects that could later on cause problems in our tanks.

Taking sand BELOW the low tide mark, ensures that you have "live sand". With bacteria cultures in it already. The chances for having contaminants are far lower, as when the water currents move (during the movement between low-high and high-low tide) the sand is thoroughly "cleaned".
Also - you have the added benefit of getting pods, worms micro starfish, etc..... everything that you want inside your DSB to assist with the cleanup job of detritus in your tank.....
:biggrin:

ok that make sens but now what about river sand there is no live in it that will survive salt water

so then i need to boil it in water before use and put l/r ontop of it till it's seed

Also - you have the added benefit of getting pods, worms micro starfish, etc..... everything that you want inside your DSB to assist with the cleanup job of detritus in your tank.....
:biggrin:
Sorry But there is no way any sealife collected in Walvis Bay is going to survive the temperature of a reef tank. The die-off is going to cause the guy big problems.

Play sand and swimming pool sand are all good starting points but I would still wash any type of sand well befor I used it.

yeah I have always thought that silica is inert. but dont wont to quote something I am not to sure about.

If only there were more people like you and me

I have just spoken to my friend from RBM and he reckons that silica is inert only can be dissolved in a strong acid and says we in the marine hobby have nothing to worry
about as our ph is way to high for it to leach into our systems.

Back
Top Bottom