sea lily/feather starfish

Reaction score
hi gyus went to LFS yesterday to get a new lamp (dropped mine)..was shown what he calls sea lillys (i think its feather starfish) has anybody have exp in keeping them..looking so fragile they seem like they can be very short lived ????

thanx lanzo...also thought it was one of those "nice to look at...impossible to keep" animals...scary thing is he tried to sell me one...learnt my lesson once getting something i dont know! urnfortunately he'll sell it 2 someone else

thats the problem....the thing it looks like they do really good, but after a while they just disintegrate.

i have seen, that if one orders them ,some of the bags that one open doesn't even have one in( they totally disintegrate with no trace only a bad smell), they do not ship well, and those that ship well will live only for a couple of months.

its a very interesting creature, but its best to leave them where they will thrive.

agreed some things r better left alone..bit cruel to put something in a tank if u know chances of survival is minimal....unfortunately not everybody shares this view, especialy if money is involved

that is too true

If I may ask where did you see it, because I also saw one at a LFS and he tried to sell it to me.

these fellas do come up in LFS occasionally, i think mike busihie had one a while back. Def worth avoiding though due to the very low survival rate. Regretably its not always the LFS fault that they have them, shippers might use them as " fillers" to a shipment and send them anyway, even if the lfs does not want it.

but def do not try keep one unless you know exactly what you are doing, which from what i hear percludes most reefers

Please DON'T BUY IT! Crinoid (sp?) feather stars requires HUGE HUGE HUGE amounts of microscopic/zooplankton to live/survive. I really don't think that our tanks can supply the amount of zooplankton that those poor feathers require to survive!

They are really PRETTY though?

Back
Top Bottom