Sea Lillie/Crinoid

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Any one seen one of these and are they reef safe and worthwhile getting?

sea-lilly.gif

Neocrinusdecoruscloseup.jpg

my lfs has a whit and a white and brown one??

thanks yeah actually got the pictures from one of those links

thanks, but they still dont help in the reefsafe division

Very difficult to keep alive. I had two, they look very very nice

They not suited for high light and flow reef tanks

read through some more article's and would lean to not keeping them as some are from deep waters and some not, would suppose that the low coulor ones eg white brown would be from deeper waters, thus making them not suitable for our setups,
The more colorfull ones i supose a diffrent story alltogether.

Kanga, just go and buy it please!!!! Then you can do the reef safe testing for the good of all South African Reefers.

I kept a really pretty red one for a month or two. I tried to feed it Nannochloropsis and liquid foods. Eventually its limbs start falling off and it died. I did a lot of research on how I could keep it alive during that time. The results weren't promising.

Most folks recommend you don't keep them. You need to feed them food within a narrow particle size range or they won't be able to wave it up to their mouth up the ciliated grooves on their arms.

I dived with some really stunning ones in Indonesia. They're kinda like velcro underwater and one of them got snagged on my wetsuit. I only noticed when I got up to the boat again. Naturally, I panicked when I felt it. So would you if you had a large afro wig attached to you (they're big there).

are they reef safe
YES
worthwhile getting?
NO, definitely not!

read through some more article's and would lean to not keeping them as some are from deep waters and some not, would suppose that the low coulor ones eg white brown would be from deeper waters
I would suspect the other way round, as the brighter coloured ones (generally reds) will be better camoflaged in deeper water, where the colour red is filtered out.

Kanga, just go and buy it please!!!!
Kanga please don't, and same for anybody else, unless you are serious about researching what exactly it takes to keep them healthy. If there is a market for them, they will continuously be harvested from their natural habitat, only to starve to death in our aquariums.

They should'nt be taken out of the ocean.

enuff said

Hi Kanga
They are more suited to a tank with vast amounts of plankton/fine food feeding as they filter feed using their arms and they are not really suitable for a hobbyist reef tank as feeding them would be an issue as far as keeping nutrient levels down.

Back
Top Bottom