Sea Horses

Reaction score
Hi I was thinking of starting up an sea horse setup and hoping there would be some members that could point me in the right direction

1. I have an 37l magic wave available would this be big enough
2. I know they like minimal flow but good water quality
3.Feeding im not too sure off
4.Also what can be added with them in terms of fish inverts and CUC
5.Where do I get hold of some (if there are any members here that have an pair for sale?)

They are lovely creatures and I'm glad that you are doing your homework before getting one. They can be hardy but can be very demanding with regards to care and type of tank etc.

1. I have an 37l magic wave available would this be big enough
No. The tank is quite small as they need a high tank more than anything.

2. I know they like minimal flow but good water quality
Yup. They are messy eaters and mess a lot.

3.Feeding im not too sure off
They do take to frozen foods, mine used to love mysis. If they don't then be prepared to find/grow live food for them.

4.Also what can be added with them in terms of fish inverts and CUC
Most inverts and cuc will be fine. Be warned that they are slow swimmers so if you have a clam (for example) they might get trapped if it shuts on their tail. Or if an opportunistic feeder gets hold of them then they will lose that battle.

5.Where do I get hold of some (if there are any members here that have an pair for sale?)
They do come in now and then. Just keep an eye out at your LPS or watch the forum (there was someone that was looking to sell theirs recently but only looking for experienced owners).

Thankyou for the advise thus far. Would the AM37 last for 6 months to an Year as Ive seen the sizes the sometime come in at are very small it seems in an lager tank they would be lost or more difficult to get food t them?As I would like to start small

Flow wise, that tank is fine for them but in all honesty the height really is not unless really tiny. A larger tank does not mean longer width wise but taller bearing in mind that their movements is more vertical than horizontal.
You can build a feeding and hitching station for them to hold onto and feed but will still waste most of what is offered to them.

Thankyou for all the input but after speaking to Maddy Ile rather try something else for now until I have more space.

Back
Top Bottom