sea horse

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Reef E, 11 Mar 2010.

1. Reef E

Reef E

Is it very hard to look after a seehorse

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Reef E. IT is only very hard, if you are not prepared to breed live mysis/mysid and live brineshrimp (and enhance the brineshrimp with vitamins and HUFA's), EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Well - the straight answer: YES. VERY HARD.

Sea horses are extremely difficult to keep alive long-term. As they ONLY eat live foods (mostly). If you are lucky enough to get them to eat frozen food (frozen mysid/bloodworm/brineshrimp/etc) then you have to ensure that they don't get ill/sick (which they can easily become).

Also - you cannot keep them with other fish, only on their own.....

4. Reef E

Reef E Thread Starter

Thank you . Now I can tell my mom not to buy 1 for me for my birthday

5. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hey there buddy - One of the requirements would be to keep them in their own tank - as the biggest drama would be to eat.... They are fairly slow creatures so if they stay in the same tank as other species of fish the poor buggers can't swim fast enough to get food so they going to die of starvation... Theiir water flow requirements are different compared to a reef tank or even a fish only ... depending on their size the horsies will get blown all over the tank as they generally not as strong swimmers as other fish ... PM lIghty or Anemone - they got more experience than some of us in the sea horse field....

6. jacquesb

Sorry if I "p'd" on your idea, Reef E. But, truthfully it is not a good idea. I had them - and I will not get another one again, until I have been keeping marines for at least 30 years....

BUT - why not rather ask your mom for a new/decent in-tank power-head instead? You will need as much in-tank water flow as you can find. Else - perhaps a RO unit - or some upgraded lighting.

There's a LOT of stuff your mom can get you for your birthday, at this stage.

If you want something not tank related - ask for a SCUBA diving Openwater 1 course! ;) (Like Morne'!) It's a GREAT gift!

7. Anemone

Anemone

Seahorse do not have to be kept in a seahorse tank only, unless you are talking about dwarfs. There are "some" fish that can live peacefully with seahorses, however, it is limited.

There are also many corals that can be kept with seahorses.

However, to answer your question, seahorses are extremely difficult to keep unless they are already trained to eat frozen food. Here in the US captive raised seahorse, already trained to eat frozen food are readily available. They are also disease free, which is another reason wild caught seahorses are difficult to keep.

So unless you want to set up several other tanks to raise pods and mysis shrimp, wait until captive raised seahorses who are trained to eat frozen food are available in SA before you purchase them. Trust me, seahorses eat a LOT!!!!!

8. FransSny

FransSny

Interesting Branda, never knew they can be kept with fish

9. Anemone

Anemone

It's limited, but some of the slower swimming fish can be kept with them.

10. jacquesb

Anemone - the only problem that I have with keeping any other fish with seahorses, is that these types of fish usually competes with the seahorses for the live food, ie. pipe-fish, shrimpfish, etc.... Therefor, I will never advise it that anyone keep other fish with seahorses.

I intensely investigated/researched seahorses when I kept them. I have 2 female tigertail seahorses for about a year. (Well - the one got gas-bubble disease, and the 2nd one, I can only presume, died of "lonelyness" - as it was not sick, and it was eating fine).....

11. Anemone

Anemone

12. FransSny

FransSny

Very cool thanks brenda, yes it makes sense that something like a mandarin might have no threat. Could actually look very cool.....LR, plants, seahorses & mandarin

13. Anemone

Anemone

You're welcome!

I'm going to be starting a seahorse/coral/fish set up soon. In fact, sand, water and LR is in and the tank is being cycled. The coral may not be added for a while, I haven't decided on lighting yet. I'll start a new thread after things get going a little more. And Crispin, if you're watching......Yes, with pics! :razz:

14. Anemone

Anemone

Jacquesb,

The difference between the seahorses that I keep and most of the ones that are kept in SA, is mine don't rely on live food.

15. hypn

hypn

I have to support the main idea in all the postings. Sea Horses are incredibly but if the main food source can't be maintained or if they have to compete for food they slowly starve to death. Not only are the fussy eaters but they also eat consistently.

Recent Posts