Sea horse help

Discussion in 'Other Livestock' started by Lizid, 20 Mar 2011.

1. Lizid

Lizid

Hi there guys my dads not having luck with his seahorses and I want to help him out, are there any guidelines to follow as a start?

Is there someone on the forum I can speak to about keeping these amazing little guys?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Anemone

Anemone

What species? Captive bred? Wild Caught? What problems are you having? What are you feeding. Describe the tank. What are the water parameters?

4. chas84

chas84

5. Anemone

Anemone

Certainly not an expert, knowledgeable, yes! There is still lots to learn about these animals!

6. chas84

chas84

:thumbup:

7. Lizid

Lizid Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys I will check the other site now and fond out the info

8. Anemone

Anemone

What problems are you having?

9. Lizid

Lizid Thread Starter

Well it is rather simple really, they die shortly after being put in to the tank, I can't give water parameters now but the clowns that were in there were fine they were In there for about 4 weeks then removed for the seahorses...

10. jacoc

jacoc

@Lzid...sea horse is very specialized...I had a mate that kept some a few years back ...took him a while to be success full but he came right..he moved to C/T a few years ago ....I will see if I can get his details for you then pm it ....
    AS far as I remember he had a lot of eelgrass and some sea weed and a few corals in his tank...He only used air stones for circulation as swimming in streams is very tiring for them and the tank had different temperatures high spots...ranging from 20-25degC with a under-gravel filtration system...He used to say he specializes in growing algae and sea grass the opposite of keeping fish...I suppose that is what one need to accomplish if keeping sea horse...You need to do a lot of home work before keeping these animals...as their environment determines there wellbeing...His tank looked a lot like a fresh water tropical set-up if I remember correctly...He also keped a small tank for breeding guppies to feed them to his sea horses...as some of them eat only live food like a couple of young guppies a day and some live on plankton...
    I’ll see what I can do putting you in contact with him..

11. Steve Warren

Steve Warren

Hi Lizid

seahorse.org is probably your best option for getting further info, you will still have to get more info than you have given so far. I am pretty much guessing that they are seahorses that have been purchased from a LFS, most likely wild caught or possibly pen raised. This will mean they will very likely only take live food, usually only small shrimp and mysids that will be difficult to obtain. Not all seahorses will recognise fish fry and larvae as food and adult brine will not be nutritious enough.
    If they have stripes on their tails they could be tigertail seahorses that will very likely feed at night rather than during the day to add another complication.
    If they do take frozen foods then mysis and krill are your better food items.
    But more info would definitely make giving advice easier.

Last edited: 21 Mar 2011
  12. Anemone

Anemone

In addition to what Steve said....Clownfish are not the best tankmates for seahorses. I suspect most of the problems are from lack of food and/or lack of proper food.

Here is a tankmate guide for seahorses, as you can see clownfish are rated at a level 3 or 4 based on the species.

seahorse.org - Tankmates

13. Steve Warren

Steve Warren

You can PM me for some advice also if you wish.

14. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Anemone (Brenda) & Steve Warren will give you great advice & agree with them seahorse.org has great info. Good Luck:thumbup:

15. Sean H

Sean H

Hi Liziddid some advice beginning of the week, seem to be removed.
    If you need any help give me a call on my cell
    083 638 8777

Sean H

16. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

You have still not answered Anemone's questions - how can you expect people to help/advise you if you do not supply the information needed :whistling:

Hennie

Recent Posts