Sea Hare, white fluid coming out

Discussion in 'Quarantine Tanks, sick fish, QT corals' started by cknipe, 19 Jun 2014.

1. cknipe

cknipe

Hi All,

I've had my Sea Hare for a good few months now, and he just makes my tank. We call him the cow "koei" because all he does is eats and sleeps, and occasionally falls off stuff ;)

Loads of food in the tank for him, he's never had a single issue up to now. I've just noticed that there is some white fluid coming out of a gland at it's back to the right side of where the pooh comes out...

As this is the first time ever I see this... Do I need to worry about this at all? Even with the fluid coming out, he's still happily moving around and grazing and very active...

2014-06-19 17.27.17.jpg

2014-06-19 17.27.28.jpg

Last edited: 19 Jun 2014
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Qball_V1.0

Qball_V1.0

Chat to @MistaOrange.... Im sure his did something similar a week or two ago just before dying and wiping out half his fish.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. cknipe

cknipe Thread Starter

That's what I'm afraid of yes... :(
    @MistaOrange - Mine stoped it now. Seems it was only a once-off case. Was this the same with you? Noticed any behaviour changes or anything like that? Is it time to get rid of mine?

5. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

My seahare expelled everything from it's mouth which pretty much poisoned my tank. I will never trust another one in my tank I lost too much. Haven't seen it do what yours is doing.

Last edited: 19 Jun 2014
  6. cknipe

cknipe Thread Starter

Yeah I know that they expel poison and other things both when dying as well as when they feel threatened. I did allot of reading up on them before I got mine. I also know that they don't have a particular long life span, hence if mine is reaching end of life, then so be it.
    @RiaanP or someone else perhaps... Thoughts comments on the white liquid?

I don't want to flush it if I don't have to (yet), but if that is what it's coming to, then that is what it's coming too... Confirmation would be appreciated though. Google hasn't given much, if anything, about these white liquids.

7. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

As soon as you see something looking like a pipe coming from it's face take it out ASAP.

8. cknipe

cknipe Thread Starter

Hmm,

I'm not convinced at all right now...

Mary Bates, PhD s Sticky Defense as well as Packaging of chemicals in the defensive secretory... [J Exp Biol. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI states that the Hare has a opaline defence (not inking).

I also happen to have a small purple reef lobster. Which Mary Bates states specifically that the Opaline defence is targeted at Lobsters as it blocks their sense of smell. I wonder if the Lobster didn't perhaps try to take a stab at the Sea Hare...

i'm definitely going to do more reading up before simply flushing my "koei" down the toilet. This guy is part of the family and I'd rather flush (eat) the lobster than get rid of the Hare if I can help it...

9. cknipe

cknipe Thread Starter

wow the video at the end of Mary Bate's page is actually really, really awesome.

You can see the Sea Hare giving off the white liquid, followed by the inking of the lobster. My Hare won't ever ink, as I don't have any red algae in my tank required for the Hare to produce the ink.

So yes, I think I'm safe. It just had a run in with my lobster then. The guy is still very active in the tank, all over the place grazing, and there is absolutely nothing out of the ordinary in terms of behaviour. I'll keep an eye on the little (ok big) bugger for the next few days.

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Sea hares can grow a lot bigger than yours. Must see them in the rockpools around Margate. Those are 20cm or longer.

They can ink when handled. Ask my dad. He had purple fingers for a couple of days. I laughed myself simple. Don't know why he took it out of the bucket with his hand. I put it in there just to show him and then to release. But anyway, it was funny.

Yours look OK.

Recent Posts