Sea Cucumber Advice?

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by Jaco Schoeman, 15 Jan 2010.

1. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hi Guys

I am getting this baby from my dad tomorrow. Have done all my research I can but is there anything else I might wanna know about introduction etc?

I would appreciate it if you dont tell me they are nuke bombs in powerheads, as I know this and I have no powerheads (CLS;)) so I need positive advice please...

Anyone that can ID this sea cucumber?

Thanks

Here's a pic, I will post better pics on Monday

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pads

Pads

Hey Jaco, I've got a simple black cucumber and to be perfectly honest I could do without it. It hides between rocks and I very seldomly see it. I do worry about it fouling my water though. Your's looks a little more attractive but often colour is a sign of toxins, poisons. I'd just do the standard introduction process and it will find a spot it like. Hopefully its where you can enjoy its presence.

4. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Thanks Pads. How "affected" are they in the presense of fish? I have a yellow watchman goby staying in the only realy "hiding" spot in the tank, other than that is basically open rock.

I ahve however read they do a great job a sifting your substrate at night, and they eat "leftovers" etc. hence the addition to the NPS tank.

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Don't keep this sea cucumber with fish Jaco. I lost 13 out of 15 fish due to one getting stuck on a powerhead..... the cuke released a nerve toxin which made my fish drown,....

Other than that - they are awesome detritus removers....

6. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Hey Jacques... Again, I have no powerheads at all, not intake no nothing that would suck anything in as I run a CLS. I even have no aggressive fish that might have any need to take a nip at it, so i think it really is quite safe... ;) Thank you for your concern however, and I hope that I dont ever have to post a loss ratio of fish like that... EINA!!!

7. Pads

Pads

Jaco, I've never seen mine on the substrate, only amongst the rocks. The fish have totally ignored the cucumber. Not even my trigger has seem the slightest bit interested. Thats why i said I could do without it as I can't see the benefit of having one.

8. jacquesb

Sea cucumbers are really fantastic detrivores. They clean the top +-1cm of the substrate 100% perfectly clean from detritus.....

9. Pads

Pads

Maybe mine is a social recluse. Or has a sand phobia. :p

10. chops

chops

i got one similar but myn is a sea apple from the great barier reef had myn a year but lfs did not tell me thay are toxic but myn been fine myn is red purpe and yellow check a site called www.seaapple.co.za

11. Warr7207

Warr7207

Becareful, that WILL NUKE YOUR TANK

12. IMarine

IMarine

Hi guys what Jacquesb says is 100% correct but what i found that when sea apples are on they way out, they loose col and start to shrink and when i say shrink to a marble size,so when you see this happen remove at once and flush,other wise you will have a load of ****ttt

13. jacquesb

Sea Apples are not detrivores at all. They filter feed. So - if you WANT to keep a sea apple alive, then you should feed the whole tank phytoplankton and rotifers.

That said - IF sea apples do die, or stress, they do the exact same as sea cucumbers: eject a neurotoxin into the water - which affects the nervous systems of the fish (I think only vertebrate life - meaning fish, is affected by this), which paralyzes fish.

Meaning - fish suffocate because they cannot breath - causing them to die.

Recent Posts