Scwd Wavemaker

Reaction score
Hi all
1st of all I would like to know if there are any of these available locally with more than 02 outlets and also the pumps available for it.
If not, then I will go for this one (I then need 02) as well as the pumps gor them and the fittings. Please let me know asap

scwdwavemaker.jpg

Sean this is the only way they come, pumps? anything from 2000L to a max of 4500L p/h I think

Really handy, i have one

They work well andmake almost no noise. If you blow through them you get the idea that they will be very noisy when spinning fast.

Sean this is the only way they come, pumps? anything from 2000L to a max of 4500L p/h I think

Really handy, i have one

Welcome back Kanga.We might see Tom in a better mood now in the chatbox... LoL

External pumps 4500lt- what type?

Any type Sean.

Mine is running off an Astro pump. As long as the flow is not more than about 4500 L/H. The stronger the flow, the faster it switches between sides. Mine is running off about 3000 L/H and switches sides about every 35 seconds or so.

Hi Sean - have you already decided to go for the SCWD devices? Don't you have the Resun 15000 (with Wavemaker) already? If not, why not look at these as well? I have a 2 metre tank, and currently have one of these Resun's. I want to add one more. It works like a charm. And taking into account that the are 15000 litre per hour pumps, the work very well in big (long) tanks.... Also - if you don't know this already - they have electronic wave making timers, which has 3 power settings, and these can be set to different times that the pump pumps at a certain strength (I think it is 2400 l/hour, 7000 or 8000 l/h and then full strength 15000 l/h)...

Last edited:
Hi Sean - have you already decided to go for the SCWD devices? Don't you have the Resun 15000 (with Wavemaker) already? If not, why not look at these as well? I have a 2 metre tank, and currently have one of these Resun's. I want to add one more. It works like a charm. And taking into account that the are 15000 litre per hour pumps, the work very well in big (long) tanks.... Also - if you don't know this already - they have electronic wave making timers, which has 3 power settings, and these can be set to different times that the pump pumps at a certain strength (I think it is 2400 l/hour, 7000 or 8000 l/h and then full strength 15000 l/h)...

Going for closed Loop system. Do not want any pumps in the display

OK Sean - no problems - I understand.... where in your piping would then think of putting the SCWD wavemaker devices? Any drawings of your poposed closed loop system? Sorry to bother - just interested......

Jacques, I do not have a clue as to where to put it. It will all sit on the outside I suppose, but Andrew/Eco Aquatics will do my whole setup for me next week. Maybe we should ask him for some type of diagram. Aquadeziac knows a fair bit of this "Closed Loop System" as well. He Has this on his website:

The SCWD is a revolutionary device. It is a mechanical wave maker, requiring no additional energy, made with demanding customers in mind. This innovative wave maker will stimulate coral growth, enhance fish health, and increases oxygenation in the water. The SCWD does this by creating similar movements as found in the ocean. The SCWD has been manufactured to the highest degree of quality and has been field tested with over 53000 hrs of trouble free operation. The SCWD takes water from your existing pump or filter and alternately switches water between the two outlet ports at varying intervals. The SCWD creates movements similar to those found in the ocean. These movements stimulate coral growth, enhance fish health, and increases oxygenation in the water. The SCWD is a mechanical wave maker requiring no additional energy.Ê Just hook it up to your existing aquarium set-up and watch it bring your tank to life. As mentioned SCWD has been field-tested for over 53000 hours of continuous use in a sustained reef environment where water conditions were at or above calcium levels of 400ppm. In addition, SCWD has been subjected to qualification testing, which included use of hard water and elevated calcium levels (1000ppm) that were sustained for six weeks.Ê After one month the power head running the SCWD stopped working, and required cleaning.Ê Two weeks later the same power head failed again, but SCWD continued to operate without incident. The SCWDÕs switching response is dependant on the amount of water volume running through the device.Ê The more water the faster the switching response.Ê The SCWD can be mounted either internally or externally, depending on the desired results.Ê The unit housing is completely sealed less the inlet and two outlets, so it may be hung outside the aquarium.Ê The product materials are completely safe in both fresh and salt-water environments making it safe for installing inside the tank. Although not overly sensitive to the normal particulate and debris found in reef tank environments, it is strongly recommended that the water flowing through the SCWD is pre-filtered. The SCWD can be ran off a pump or power head at as low as 50 gallons per hour, and can be used with pump applications up to 1400 gallons and hour.Ê Keep in mind that at fifty gallons an hour the switching response is very slow, and at 1400 gallons an hour the switching response is quite rapid. The SCWD is guaranteed to withstand water pressures up to 5 PSI.

If you use 1" plumbing, you'll get better flow than if you used smaller I.D. (inside diameter) pvc. Now that brings up a new problem, in that you need it to get smaller for the SCWD, and then ramp back up to larger pipe to avoid constriction. So you'll have to find "bushings" or reducers to make things work. Or use larger flexible hose: Slip on a small piece of one size on to the SCWD outlets to act like a small collar, then slip the next size hose over that, clamping it securely. Metal hose clamps can be used in dry areas, but not if the connections are submerged.

Hope it helps. It was stuff I found off the net when I started looking at Closed Loop Systems

Last edited:
Cool! Thanks! It definitely helped me understand where this device can be fitted (looking at the pictures, especially). Now - big question - I still wonder who stocks these devices.... Because even though I have heard of them before in the past - no-one could give me a clear answer of who to contact to purchase them (and I always thought that they were used purely inside the aquarium)...

Aquadeezic sells them as well as Eco Aquatics. They about R350.00 or close. It is without the fittings and pumps

To be honest I have no idea of the prices so I can't comment on that, I just recall them selling them previously. Jump down my throat why don't you :lol:

Ok, I just checked on the website, price is R390, not too bad in my opinion, but if elsewhere is cheaper, then logic should lead you there :D

My only gripe with SCWD's is that I've seen two that have siezed up after 18 months or so of use. Mine was one of them. Soaked it in vinegar for a day and tried a few other things, but zip. I know of others that haven't had any problems though, and for 350 bucks If it lasts 2 years, maybe it's not too bad.

My only gripe with SCWD's is that I've seen two that have siezed up after 18 months or so of use. Mine was one of them. Soaked it in vinegar for a day and tried a few other things, but zip. I know of others that haven't had any problems though, and for 350 bucks If it lasts 2 years, maybe it's not too bad.

I see it comes with a guarentee,so not bad. Is Andrew still alive???? Heloooohhh

Back
Top Bottom