Scuba's frag setup

Discussion in 'Frag Tanks' started by scubaninja, 30 May 2010.

1. scubaninja

scubaninja

Hey guys. My uncle has been pushing me to set up a frag tank for a while now and since my tank is doing pretty well i might be making the plunge this holiday after exams. I have two pumps i can put in as flow, which should be ample flow. I have a 250w mh setup lying around at home so i would probably only need to use that, and i'll hook it up to the current tank so no need for extra filtration. What i need to know is what depth of tank would be best here if i'm going to use the 250w mh?

Mods if i'm in the wrong section please move me there. Phone browsing and all..
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Annoying

Annoying

I'm guessing this will be for your sps frags and lps... If so I would say that if the tank is 30cm deep iw would be perfect depth for 250watt, but I can be wrong lets here what the other have to say.

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Sounds great, Stu. I am not 100% sure WHERE this thread should be. Let's see what your frag setup works out to be. Personally, I think that T5's is ample for a frag setup. My opinion, is that 250 watt is far too much for frags... either T5's or 150 watt metal halides... nothing more.

5. scubaninja

scubaninja Thread Starter

Yes mainly sps with whatever softies and lps i might have. I've seen shallow tanks before, just don't remember what lights there were. JB i want to use the 250 as i have it already and so don't need to pay for anything else. And i want to use only that one light to cover the entire area of the tank. I haven't fully decided on the size but might go 1000*900*whatever height i choose. So the MH might be raised fairly high, with a decent reflector, so with that in mind what do u think? I think there is a frag setup section isn't there? I tried to find it...
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. chikaboo

chikaboo

Ahhhhh! great just dont make too shallow ... in case weather is not good when I make my trips to Durbz then I can just come snorkel by your place and have plenty of stuff to go back home with ....

7. scubaninja

Haha chika. I thought my surf tank was where you were going to swim in the waves;) when you're ready for sps you can let me know;)
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. scubaninja

Bump
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Manic

Manic Moderator

In my frag setup I had a 800mm x 800mm x 300mm (High) tank with water level at 260mm. I then had an eggcrate stand which lifted the corals about 100mm off the bottom. So there was only about 160mm of water above the sps. Some of my colonies only had around 10mm of water above the tips. I had 2 150W 14000K MH's on this tank and they were around 10cm's above the water.

10. scubaninja

Thanks manic that helps. I thought about the use of eggcrate to raise the corals if necessary but with 250 i doubt i will need it. I think i will maybe go 400 water height? Thoughts? I just wonder how far a 250's angle of light can go, and how far above the tank that its becoming silly if you know what i mean..
    Posted via Mobile Device

11. Manic

Manic Moderator

My 250W MH on my main tank has that luminarc reflector and the light spreads 900mm x 900mm when the light is around 15cm above the water.

12. Manic

Manic Moderator

The reason for using egg crate is just so that the frags don't get blown around as much and the reason for raising it off the bottom is that you can blow all the stuff that collects on the bottom away.

13. scubaninja

Where can i get one of those reflectors and how much are they? Yes i do believe that purpose of the eggcrate will be necessary actually. I will have pretty high flow in there and frags skating about doesn't seem so good for growth. I will also need to get hold of frag plugs, cause my little rock fragments won't work too well on the egg crate i think.
    Posted via Mobile Device

14. lIghty

lIghty

Depending on the reflector and size of tank, I would make it 250mm to 300mm water depth.

15. scubaninja

Wow thats super shallow. Wouldn't that burn the frags? 250w is a lot of power. I'm thinkin i might play it safe. I want to do some lps frags too so i think they would suffer under than. Maybe go 400 or something and then i can always raise the frags up with eggcrate. Lighty why don't you answer your phone chap?
    Posted via Mobile Device

16. Dale6

Dale6

haha keen frag time!i also want one of those reflectors?

17. scubaninja

Haha the only real sps frags i have are pink birdsnests.. Cause the colony took a swan dive onto the floor:( but luckily the other half is still intact:) i cant actually see the stick through the polyps on some of the frags! Intense! But others the stick is visible. Very interesting:)
    Posted via Mobile Device

18. scubaninja

Ok, been fiddling with the calculator today after my exam since i have a day break (sigh). Will be going 900*900*400 with water height at 370. If i use 6mm glass the sides are fine, for the base if i go 6mm the safety rating is 3.0. in the yellow. I know with bracing the strength etc that value will increase and the calculator doesnt take bracing into account, but will i be chancing my luck? I will have a 2cm polystyrene sheet and a 2cm thick board beneath that when its on the stand. will that be enough? With top and bottom euro bracing of course

19. scubaninja

bump

20. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I would make the base 10mm Scubs. If it's gonna be cheaper then add another 6mm or even a 5mm piece of glass onto the other 6mm one for the base - instead of one 10mm. I did that with my previous shallow tank.
    On the depth and light issue:
    Remember that light only comes third after feeding and water quality. 400 deep is fine with a 250W, it might even be too much, but at least you can raise the unit to get more spread. Some people want to overdo it with lighting, I know of a guy once having 400w in Westville :whistling: - what a waste of electricity :p

21. scubaninja

na i need to cost cut here, i'm gonna be putting the board there to help stop any extra flex, but i am worried about it a bit. But hennie's calculator puts a base of 6mm in the yellow, so i'm assuming with bracing it will go into green which i am happy with.

Ya i would really rather use 39W T5s than a metal halide but the MH is what i have, unless someone wants to swap?:p 400 high would be the height and 370 the water height, so wouldnt be MUCH difference do you think? Ya that punk in Westville actually has 2 400W MHs, i believe he turns all the lights in his house off when they turn on?:lol: Thanks for the help tobes :thumbup:

Recent Posts