ScubaLover's - 5 Sided 4500L

How does the agreesion of compare between a powder brown, powder blue and white cheek/gold rim tang. Would any of them be suited for my 400 liter along with the trigger/s and so fourth

Last edited:
Im not too sure but I think Powder Browns have less agression than powder blues. I have never kept a gold rim but pretty sure they also less agro than the blue

How does the agreesion of compare between a powder brown, powder blue and white cheek/gold rim tang. Would any of them be suited for my 400 liter along with the trigger/s and so fourth
I had a Goldrim and a Powder Brown for a total of 30 minutes. The Powder Brown was seriously aggressive and hammered the Goldrim. But this may not be a generic case, as the same Powder Brown was taking on my Naso too. I removed the Powder Brown (back into QT) and sold it. But the Powder Brown had the worst scaring of the three. I still have the Goldrim happily in my tank co-existing with the rest.

I had a Goldrim and a Powder Brown for a total of 30 minutes. The Powder Brown was seriously aggressive and hammered the Goldrim. But this may not be a generic case, as the same Powder Brown was taking on my Naso too. I removed the Powder Brown (back into QT) and sold it. But the Powder Brown had the worst scaring of the three. I still have the Goldrim happily in my tank co-existing with the rest.

What size tank was this in?

What size tank was this in?
My tank at the time was 200L. I made a thread on the whole dilemma, see: thread. I have since upgraded to a 400L which makes me more comfortable but I still won't add a Powder Brown again. I currently have the same Goldrim and a Purple Tang. They are behaving at the moment, with infrequent fin flashing but no serious aggression. I keep them well fed as an attempted peace treaty.

Had all 3 of the fish at various times. Powder Blue definitely the most agro. Even in my 750 liter tank he was a complete chop. Could not introduce any fish after he was in regardless of what it was.

Have a powder black currently, he is small and already chasing the Cobberband around that is about 40% bigger than him.

Powder Brown was the most chilled so long as their no other acanthurus tangs in the same tank. He wont tolerate any other acanthurus tangs introduced after him.
All 3 of those are highly susceptible to white spot so don’t dream of putting them into your tank with QT or serious UV (Like 1 x 55 Watt unit to every 250 litres with your tanks volume through the UV a hour - yes that serious UV).

Would not put any of them in a tank smaller than 450 litres either.

What will be more effective and cheaper. My dad thinks I should get a curve 5 skimmer and run cheato (which I already have going), I would like a algae scrubber, say like 20 cm by 25 cm. Not sure on what lighting I should use. Completely different question, how effective is a up flow algae scrubber?

The tank looks amazing in person. A quick snap of the 2 tailless fish last night when I was there:

IMG_3862.jpg

Havent done this in a while.
Using ozone for the last few months has changed my tank completely. Having super clear water is amazing.

Some quick snaps while walking past.
Will try get back into the swing of updating this thread.

20190221_123429.jpg

20190221_123444.jpg

20190221_123453.jpg

Last edited:
Around November last year i built an outdoor algae scrubber 1m x 1.2m scrubber in a wooden frame with plexiglass and green house sheeting to seal the frame .

My nitrates were well over 100 and phosphates were over 2.5 and couldnt be tested as the hanna meter only reads to 2.5

Since running the scrubber
Nitrates have come down to 2ppm
Phosphate 0.09

Some coral pics aswell just to make it pretty.

20181108_090732.jpg

20181108_113904.jpg

20190117_130732.jpg

20190221_193039.jpg

20190221_193238.jpg

20190221_193121.jpg

Last edited:
That is awesome, you must weigh how much algae you take off per week, would be interesting to see.

Great idea.
Maybe use some good old cable ties to support that pvc in the middle
Tried before but started tearing the sheet. I have plans on upgrading the scrubber in the near future.
I have never had one before so this one has mostly been a test.

Will keep the frame etc but will redo the actual scrubber to combat the weight.

Outdoor scrubber is an awesome idea. I'm just a bit worried about winter and the effect it will have on cooling the tank too much. It is sealed so evaporation would not be the problem. Let us know what happens when the outside temp drops. I want to set up a scrubber, had one years ago that worked nice. Only problem was cleaning it as it messes water drops everywhere during maintenance. That would not be a problem if its outside like yours.

Back
Top Bottom