ScubaLover's - 5 Sided 4500L

Reaction score
Hi All,

Starting with a new build soon. Well hopefully soon. Looking to do the tank as a DIY project.

The tank will be a divider between the lounge and the passage.

Looking at carrying 3400 litres excluding the sump.

The house is marked out with masking tape on the floors and very excited to get contractors in to start building the stand. The stand will be brick and water with a concrete slab on top with many lintels for support.

There will be more lintels than the pics below show.

features of the tank:
Height of the glass will be 80 cm high
Viewing area of 1.87 m from the lounge
2 x Viewing area of 80 cm from back and front sides of the passage
a view area of 2.18 m from the tank in the passage

So the tank will be viewed from 4 panels in different rooms

The sump will have 2 entrances for myself and my part in crime to crawl under. ( Hopefully more her than me:whistling::whistling:)

I have asked for quotes from many glass companies and lets see what they come back with.

Depending on the glass prices depends on when the actual build will start.
Plenty of bracing will need to be done. I have not added this into the concept design as yet.

Lounge view: 1.87 m panel

upload_2016-6-6_9-24-28.png

Passage front view: 80 cm panel

upload_2016-6-6_9-25-19.png

Passage back view: 80 cm panel

upload_2016-6-6_9-26-20.png

Passage view at tank: 2.18m

upload_2016-6-6_9-27-0.png

Please feel free to give advice on plumbing and bracing.

Super stoked for the build.

Would a steel stand not be better? That is if you can get it into the house up to the intended spot.
Less work to be done, no building alterations, cement lintels or brickwork inside the house.

Would a steel stand not be better? That is if you can get it into the house up to the intended spot.
Less work to be done, no building alterations, cement lintels or brickwork inside the house.

Was going to do a steel stand but would need to do some alterations as the arch way will block the height of the tank. So will be making the arch square to get the tank the correct height.
The madam of the house would also prefer the tank to match up with the walls etc of the house.

We have family in the building side and would also work out cheaper for the brick and water rather than the stand.

But I think you would be right the stand would be an absolute mission to get to the area.

At 800 deep and the tank so large, how are you planning on doing work in the center of the tank?

To start I would need to climb into the tank to scape the middle but looking to do what bob did on his reef with another return pump coming up the middle to blow detritus out. Continuously thinking and researching other options. But I'm very keen on a high tank.

On a related note, what are your ideas light wise?

Will look at getting LEDS not sure what brand but will look at mainly LEDS.
The tank will be mainly LPS and softies with a few SPS on the high scaped areas.

I know it doesn't have very detailed info but so far the tank has been very spontaneous and needs plenty more advice and thinking.

Workings out for the volume of the tank. This is excluding the sump

Tank works out to 3363.6

I will be using a 1.8 x 60 x 60 for the sump to make up the remaining volume

20160606_180438.jpg

My plan was to use smaller LEDs and weaker ones around the edges and the main swimming area... And maybe using zetlights or another stronger LED brand to light the islands with. Will completely decide on the lights once the stand is built.

but a combo isn't s bad idea. Just need them easily accessible.

Very difficult to brace a tank of that shape properly without making it almost impossible to work in ! Go for at least 2x15mm lam and have no cross braces.

Very difficult to brace a tank of that shape properly without making it almost impossible to work in ! Go for at least 2x15mm lam and have no cross braces.
Where should I brace it? I will rim the tank as well. Should I just brace between the corners?

Also you will not be able to build this once the brickwork is done .. build it close by and slide it in ..good luck it will need some real muscle !!

I build a large trapezium shaped tank before ...this is not easy.. better contact an experienced builder like Idol Marine if you not 100% ready

The plan is to build it on top of the brickwork. Will build it in place from the start. Still doing plenty research into building it. So any tips will be welcomed.

Yeah I'm going to get quotes from tank builders once I know glass prices. I have no idea what custom tank builds cost though.

Any ideas?

I suggest you go and make a project cost plan. Price everything you think you need, equipment wise.
  • Skimmer for 4000L and will you be able to fit that even in under that slab?
  • Lights to cover all your rockwork with overlapping spread. No point in having spotlight effect on the rock with darker patches in between.
  • Flow pumps, how many, flow rate, which brand plus where will they be placed? Here I suggest going for narrow flow pumps and not wide open flow pumps.
  • How will you hang / mount / support the light fixture. LED units with remote ballasts, where will the ballast be placed?
  • Plus the electrical connections. For lights above and for sump area.
  • What type of biological filtration, DSB / Matrix / NP Pelets / Orca Cubes / refugium. Will you be able to reach and maintain it?
  • Overflow design and rate? 30 minutes after feeding will your overflow be sufficient to get the shit out of the tank into the sump?
  • Reactors, calcium / carbon / phosphate. Their size and will they fit under the slab?
This is just a couple of things that popped into my mind quickly. There are more things to consider.

Also price everything and get a projected project costs.

I suggest you go and make a project cost plan. Price everything you think you need, equipment wise.
  • Skimmer for 4000L and will you be able to fit that even in under that slab?
  • Lights to cover all your rockwork with overlapping spread. No point in having spotlight effect on the rock with darker patches in between.
  • Flow pumps, how many, flow rate, which brand plus where will they be placed? Here I suggest going for narrow flow pumps and not wide open flow pumps.
  • How will you hang / mount / support the light fixture. LED units with remote ballasts, where will the ballast be placed?
  • Plus the electrical connections. For lights above and for sump area.
  • What type of biological filtration, DSB / Matrix / NP Pelets / Orca Cubes / refugium. Will you be able to reach and maintain it?
  • Overflow design and rate? 30 minutes after feeding will your overflow be sufficient to get the shit out of the tank into the sump?
  • Reactors, calcium / carbon / phosphate. Their size and will they fit under the slab?
This is just a couple of things that popped into my mind quickly. There are more things to consider.

Also price everything and get a projected project costs.

Will do that
I have been thinking about some of the questions you brought up.

I have the skimmers already and will fit very comfortably under the slab. I will be using 2 skimmers. One rated for 3200l and another for 1500l
If i remember correctly the slab will be 900 high. A ladder will live around the corner :)

Still busy doing research into which lights and the best pacement around the tank for them.
Will be hung from the roof above and supported in the roof. Will chip out a wall for cables to run down into a switch with timers on for the lights. This way no cabling will be shown. (Have this set up for my lights currently)

I ahve been looking at flow pumps and will probably look at 2 x 5000l. Im keen on doing what Bob the builder did with the hole in the middle to blow the detritus out of the rock work

was busy looking at different overflows now. What type would you suggest

I will put in a DB board for the sump connections. I think it keeps everything very neat and tidy.

Looking to use a refugium with plenty live rock in the sump for filtration.

Im looking to keep the tank as simple as possible. So probably only a calcium reactor to keep alk and Calcium level up. Will use a auto doser for Mag and use stockings with phosphate removers.

I will sit and make a project plan I think it will help put everything in my head on a piece of paper.

Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it. Any advice is very welcomed from my position. Been in this hobby for a much shorter time than most on this forum and need all the help I can get.

Speak to Idol Marine. That is what they specialize in. Custom tanks.
I have mailed Adriaan this morning. Let see what he comes back with. It might be more worth it getting it made and installed professionally.

It might be more worth it getting it made and installed professionally.
On a project this size.
YES
There would still be plenty other things you can do. But the glass box, let Adriaan sort that out.

On a project this size.
YES
There would still be plenty other things you can do. But the glass box, let Adriaan sort that out.

Yeah was thinking long and hard about it and if this is going to be the tank I want it to be then don't do it myself. I'll rather build a another tank myself on a much smaller scale.

Contractors should be coming to quote the slab sometime this week.

Back
Top Bottom