Scuba!

Reaction score
Guys i've promised my GF that we gonna do our open water 1 course and maybe go diving in saldana in december, just a few quest:

1) where is the best (pricewise) place to get the licence to dive

2)has anyone been diving in saldanah? where are some nice places to stay

3) what will a trip generally cost for a couple. ie. diving rental etc...

4)whats the best way to go about it? learn in a pool here-then go dive or do an all-in-one package?

any tips would be great!:thumbup:

Why not here in Richards Bay- I know most of the diving instructors, and they are really good. They dive on an almost daily basis- Water Police

Geoffrey - the most popular place in Pretoria is in Menlyn and Brooklyn - Scuba Scene. Ask for Peet there.
Not the cheapest, but reasonably good value for money.
You will look at a package of +-R4500 for the two of you, for Openwater 1 and Sea dives - Most likely Ponto Do Ouro..... (Southern Mozambique)....
You will do swimming pool dives at the Brooklyn pool, and most likely ther fresh water dives at either Bass Lake (on your way to Vereeniging) or Miracle Waters (Brits).

You then need to look at your "soft gear" (full wet-suit, fins, mask, snorkel, weight-belt and weights).... Another +-R2000 each.... Ja-ja... I know. Another expensive hobby.

If you add offroading (4x4), then you have ALL the hobbies I practice! ;-)

Good luck mate. SCUBA diving is an AWESOME sport/hobby! REALLY AWESOME! You should see the reefs that I have seen! AWESOME!
Somewhere here there is a thread with some pictures I posted - underwater pictures!

BTW: You really mean SODWANA, and not SALDANA! (Saldana is COLD WATER - here in the Cape - Sodwana is WARM water!)

Sodwana has the MOST awesome coral reefs that I have ever seen!

ha ha! ja sorry i meant sodwana! ha ha:lol: :lol: :lol: saldana!

a few of my friends have done sodwana and ponto. said it was awesome...

thanks for the info, i'll give the guys a ring sometime. really wanna get out there and do it!

jacquesb, i've done my fair share of 4x4ing we take the land-cruiser to parys every now and then and do the 4x4 course there. but the most insane was zambia (lilongwe national park) took us 3 days to get there! almost needed a kidney belt!

Yeah - you right Thalion... I take it you like my pics then! ;-)
Have seen your underwater pic's didn't know some were west coast.

I know west coast cold water and some good fishing, but east coast has better reefs, well the documentaries that I have seen were of east coast reefs.

me and my girl also want to do it G., so if you hear from a nice place let me know:thumbup:

Back
Top Bottom